Chapter 22: Mission Failed

Start from the beginning

"What are you gushing about, curly idiot?" Zoro's unceremoniously walks by us to grab something from the fridge.

"What did you call me, dumb-"

"Sanjii," I plead.

The cook seems about to say something else, but at the last moment he just gives up. If I could read minds, I'm sure he had just decided to ignore the swordsman altogether, at least to please me on this occasion. "Thank you for this amazing gift, Iris. I've to finish with this. If you are hungry, there is a special dessert for you in the fridge."

I nod and smile, "Thanks." One down, only two more to go. I mentally pat myself on the shoulder, before turning to meet Zoro's eyes. He must have finished whatever he was doing today, and had come for some snacks.

Anyway, Zoro just nods when we meet eyes and then returns to staring at the wall in front of him while he annihilates the food. Understandably, since we missed lunch today in favour of staying in bed.

As if meant to be, I realise he doesn't have anything to drink on the table, and I happen to be carrying the solution. Approaching him, I bring the bottle I had in my bag and place it in front of his blank expression. Still, he doesn't register it, it's like he's in another planet.

"HEY," I shout near his ear, making him jump.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?"

"Finished working out for today?" I say, undisturbed by his reaction.

He just grunts as in "yes", something I've gotten used to already.

"Here. It's the last sake I had stashed, so don't waste it," I point at the bottle I had placed in front of him.

"The last bottle?" I don't know why, but Zoro seems a bit out of it today. He stares at the sake for a second, tilting his head.

"Yeah, the last one. Are you okay?"

Another positive grunt, "Where are you going?"

"I have a project I want to finish before dinner." Taking advantage of the cook's concentration on the task at hand, I sneak a kiss on my green haired swordsman. "See you," I whisper, smiling from ear to ear, before turning to go.

"Oi!" he exclaims, the tiniest pink dusting his cheeks. I can't help but giggle at the sight, but as much as I want to stay, the next gift I can't fuck up.

...

"It must be the first time you spend that much time next to an unopen bottle," the cook observes, still occupied. He had stopped slicing vegetables and had now turned to cleaning some glasses.

Iris left ten minutes ago, and since then Zoro had been staring at the gifted bottle on his hand, as if trying to decipher all its secrets.

"What did she say to you?" his low voice made Sanji think that maybe the swordsman was not in the mood for a casual chat.

Which was as relevant to Sanji as rain to a fish. "Why would I tell you?"

"She's been giving gifts to everyone," Zoro explained.

The sarcasm in Sanji's voice was evident, "Jealous?"

"Are you stupid?" Zoro, however, was having none of it. He had a bad feeling about this whole unprompted gif-giving Iris had going on. However, he couldn't put his finger on it yet. "Something is off."

"She said she appreciated our friendship, and that she wanted to thank me." Despite their constant bickering, Sanji and Zoro instinctively sense when the other is being completely serious.