005

THE POST
Jack's Point of View

I walk out of the locker room after our 4-2 win over Arizona. "Ope, that's my cue. See ya lovebirds!" Nico says before leaving who I assume is Syd.

"Nice game, that was a really good goal." She says as I join her side and we begin walking.

"Thanks." I say.

"Do you have any plans for the rest of the night?" She asks.

"No, you?" I say. I'm probably just going to go to sleep when I get home.

"Yep, me and my bed have a date." She says.

"So you're cheating on me? I'm crushed." It was supposed to be a joke, but considering what she went through, it didn't come out that way.

"Oh- I- I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry." I say.

"It's fine." She says. I fully diagnose the smile she gives me. I haven't known her long enough to figure out if that one was genuine.

"Yeah, he-" She says before she's interrupted.

"Baby?" I hear someone say.

"Is that-" I hope I'm wrong.

"Yep." I'm right.

"Sydney, baby. What are you doing? Why are you with him." She's dating me you idiot.

I can see Syd start to get nervous. I react quickly and grab her hand.

His eyes glance down at her hands, then back at her. "You're supposed to me with me, baby. Remember how happy we were together?"

"We weren't happy together, and that's your fault. So stay out of my life." She says. Clearly he didn't like that. He gets ready to most likely slap her, but before he gets the chance, I let go of Syd's hand and push him back.

I grab a fistful of his shirt, finding the sheer look of fear in his eyes amusing. "Come near her again, and so help me God I will kill you." I let go of his shirt and he leaves.

"Are you okay?" I ask turning back around to Syd. "He didn't touch you, did he?"

"No, I'm okay. Just a little rattled." She says. "Thank you, Jack."

"Don't worry about it." I said. "Are you okay to drive home?"

"Yeah, I'm good." She says with a small nod. "Goodnight, Jack."

"Night, Syd. Oh, let me know how that date goes with your bed." I say. She laughs a little.

"I will."

I make sure she gets to her car safely before I get into mine. Her laugh replays over in my head. It sounds like my favorite song.

I hate that this is fake. When we break up, it's all over and she goes back to being just the team's little sister. Not that I ever saw her as a little sister anyway.

Once I start driving, my phone goes off. I don't pick it up, because I'm driving, but it keeps going off. Notification after notification.

I pick up the pace to my house, and once I get there, I pick up my phone. I'm still sitting in my car, but I turned it off.

I have like 200 Instagram notifications, and 12 texts.

dawson: what happened outside of the arena??

quinn: you have a girlfriend??

luke: NICE FIGHT DUDE

nico: i thought fighting was my thing

jesper: twitter is in shambles

timo: check instagram bro

miles: you good??

ryan: we should kill that john dude for real

dougie: tell ryan you two shouldn't kill him

tomas: are you okay??

vitek: why is the world ending??

damon: i'm confused rn

I don't open any of the texts, instead I open Instagram. John posted a picture of Sydney and I holding hands with the caption: 💔💔💔.

All the comments are tagging Syd and I. John replied to one of them, telling someone what happened outside of the arena, but completely twisting the story.

I throw my fist down on the dashboard and put my head back against the seat. I hope Syd hasn't seen any of this yet.

I get a call coming in, it's from my mom. I let out a quick breath and answer it. "Hi, honey!"

"Hey, mom." I respond.

"When were you going to tell your father and I about this Sydney girl? She seems really nice." She says.

"Sorry, mom, everything happened really fast. I was going to tell you." I say.

"Your father and I are coming in to town tomorrow, can we meet her then?" She asks.

"Yeah, sure." I say. Hopefully I have enough time to figure something out by then.

"Okay, that was all. I love you." She says.

"Love you too, mom."

I respond to all the messages I have unread, basically saying the same thing. Telling them what actually happened and about dinner tomorrow. I told Quinn and Luke that it's not real, since they didn't know.

I should definitely tell Syd about the dinner tomorrow, but she's probably really stressed out right now as it is.

I didn't want for any of this to happen, and I definitely underestimated this John guy.

I'm tempted to turn my phone off, but just in case Syd calls or texts, I don't.

I go into my house and take a shower. I lay in my bed, debating whether to text Syd or not. Maybe I just say hi and see how things go.

Syd

hey
read just now

you okay?

po

huh?

n

what's wrong?

syd?

sydney??

text me back

what's wrong??

are you okay??

I have to go over there. I put a hat on, because my mom would be livid that I'm going outside with wet hair.

I find my car keys and rush to my car. I get out my driveway, but I don't know here she lives, she never told me.

I quickly call Dawson. "Hello?"

"What's Syd's address?" I ask.

"122 Mainwood, why?"

"She said she wasn't okay and then just stopped responding." I say.

"I'm on my way to hers now." Is all he says before he hangs up.

I put her address in my GPS, it says I'll get there in 20 minutes, but I could probably make it 12.

I get there a couple before Dawson, I have to wait for him in order to get inside.

Dawson uses his key and opens the door. Everything looks normal until we get to the kitchen.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

cliffhanger?!?! tell me your theories :)