An Easter For The Books

"Remind me why we're doing this again?" Ravi asked. "Neither of us are Christian."

"Neither of us are religious, period." She shrugged, patting down her dress in the mirror. "Can you hand me my shoes?"

"Here," he said, watching her watch herself in the mirror as he handed her her newly bought pumps. "Hey, you look gorgeous. Relax."

"I just -"

"Pip."

"Okay, I'm -"

"Don't apologize. Let's get going, right? We're going to be late for church."

"Never thought I'd hear you say that."

"Yeah, never thought I'd say that."

They laughed together as they hurried out to the car, past a few other young couples that lived in Ravi's apartment complex.

Of course, the entirety of the short drive to the church was filled by Pip screaming along to Taylor Swift. What was a drive with Pip if there was no Taylor Swift?

"Josh will be really happy." She told him, fixing his shirt. "Thank you for doing this."

"Of course, Sarge." He smiled at her, leaning across the console to kiss her gently before they got out of the car.

He opened Pip's door for her, as he always did, and linking their arms, they walked into the church together.

"Hey," she whispered. "Promise me we won't get married in a church? I really want to have, like, a beach wedding."

"I promise, Trouble."

She smiled up at him - god, he had gotten tall - and leaned up for a quick kiss before they began their search for their families and friends.

They were quick to find Cara and Connor, bickering of course, in a row of pews. Steph was sat to the side, snickering into her palm as she watched her girlfriend whisper-shout.

Their families - the Singhs, the Amobis, and the Reynolds - were in a circle, chatting. Of course, no Ward family members other than the two daughters were present, Naomi stood awkwardly against a wall.

Jaime and Nat, too, were off in a corner talking to each other.

Pip waved hello to her bickering friends, to Naomi, and to the couple in the corner before heading over to her parents to say hello. "Where's Joshua?"

"He's playing with one of his friends, somewhere." Leanne said, shrugging with a smile as she hugged her daughter.

"Alright, I just figured he'd want to say hi." She told her parents, letting Ravi say hello to his before she turned on her heels.

Pip hurried to the pew her friends were sat at, slipping between Connor and Cara and pushing them apart gently. "Steph, please take your girlfriend."

Steph laughed, taking Cara's arm and brushing her hair out of her face with a soft hello.

"The service is starting soon, right?" Connor asked, sitting at the end of the pew, next to Ravi.

"I think so," Naomi said, joining the group.

Ravi found Pip's hand, entwining their fingers together as they listened to their friends talking.

The service started, and the music played, and-

"Pip, are you crying?" Ravi asked, voice a whisper.

"No, shut up." She sniffed, wiping her nose.

"She cries every year." Cara whispered over to Ravi, rubbing Pip's shoulder.