Chapter Forty-Seven

Bắt đầu từ đầu

On cue, Selig yawned and sank into his pillows, his eyes heavy-lidded and sleepy. "Okay, Mommy. Is Daddy coming to kiss me goodnight?"

"Of course he is." She stood, smoothing the covers to his shoulders, and bent to kiss his forehead. "Good night, sweetheart. I love you."

"Good night, Mommy. I love you, too."

She stepped back as Loki came into the infirmary. "Is he asleep?"

She shook her head. "No. Not quite. You're just in time."

He crossed over to them and stopped, his brows lowering. "What's the matter, love?"

"Nothing."

"McKenna."

She subtly shook her head. "We'll talk about it later, Loki, okay?"

He didn't look convinced, but nodded. "Of course. Is something wrong?"

"Not any more." She smiled at him and then at Selig. "I need to go speak with Eir for a moment."

"McKenna."

He reached for her, but she stepped around him. "Later, Loki. I promise." And with that, she left him to say good night to Selig while she made her way toward the far side of the room, where Selig's private room opened to the main Healing Room.

Eir was seated at her writing table, bent over a book, and without preamble, McKenna said, "You didn't say Selig died this afternoon, Eir."

The Healer looked up, as serene as ever. "You and Loki were already worried enough. I saw no reason to add to that when he was fine."

"But he died. How could you keep that from me? From his father?"

"He didn't know he died, Princess. How did you?"

"Because he told me he dreamed about Frigga and his dream was exactly the same one Loki had when he died and very similar to the one I had when I did." McKenna came around to the far side of the writing table, practically shaking with fury. "How could you keep this from me, from Loki? We both had a right to know that our son died, Eir!"

Eir cast a look over her shoulder. "Please, keep your voice down, Your Highness. There is no need to be this upset when everything is as it should be."

"Now it is, yes! But earlier, it wasn't and you lied to us. Tyra told us he went into shock but it was minor and he was fine."

"And he is."

"No, Eir, he isn't. He died." Her throat clamped shut and she leaned over, gripping the edge of the table so hard, her knuckles went white. "We had a right to know, Eir."

"And I would have told you."

"When?"

"When I thought you were ready to hear it. You have been through much over the last six months, Princess. Giving birth to twins. Dealing with four children under the age of five. Loki's faked death. You didn't need more stress when everything was fine and I knew everything would be fine. The forge was a bit too strong. That was what caused it. It took only moments to adjust and he was never in much danger."

"Eir, how can you say that? He died."

"Technically, yes. But I knew he would recover and I had no desire to upset you unnecessarily." Eir rose from her chair and came around to catch McKenna by the shoulders. "And you have every right to be upset with me, but I acted in your best interest, Your Highness. You are like a daughter to me and I did not wish to put you through something you didn't need to be put through."