Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

The next morning, McKenna awoke to the feeling of being watched and when she opened her eyes, she found herself face to face with a pair of pale blue eyes that almost perfectly matched Loki's.

"Good morning, Selig."

His eyes crinkled at their corners as he smiled, making him look even more like his father. "Good morning, Mommy. How're you feeling? Daddy took me to see-" his nose wrinkled-"my brother and sister."

"Nicholas and Kyra." She smiled, reaching out to ruffle his hair. "What did you think?"

"They're so small. Was I that small? Was Aislinn?"

She sat up with a slight wince. As she did, the sounds of babies crying floated toward her. Any moment and someone was going to bring the twins to her. She had to steel herself for nursing them. "No, sweetie. You were a lot bigger than both the twins and Aislinn. Aislinn was bigger than the twins. But twins are usually smaller because there's two of them in a space built for one."

Selig seemed to think about that for a minute, then he nodded. "I got it. Can I sit with you?"

"Sure, sweetie. Come on up."

She patted the bed next to her and he climbed up to snuggle against her. "I love you, Mommy. Daddy said you needed to rest but I could come in here if I didn't jump all over you."

"That wouldn't be a good idea." She bent to kiss the top of her head. "But I'll be fine in a few days."

"Daddy also said Bestefar is going to show everyone the babies this afternoon."

"They will make their first public appearance today, yep." She sighed softly as she sank back against the black leather headboard. "He did the same thing for you and for your sister."

"Why?"

"Well, because ours is a royal family and your brother and sister are Asgard's newest prince and princess. That's a big deal."

It was his turn to sigh. He sank back into Loki's pillows, his hands tucked up behind his head. His expression turned serious, as if he had all of the weight of the world on his five year old shoulders. "What's the matter, Sel?"

"Are you going to have any more babies?"

"I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. Daddy and I haven't really talked about it. Why?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I don't like to think about it."

She stared at him. He sounded far older than five, far more worldly. But, she understood what he meant. When she was pregnant with Aislinn, he'd asked how the baby got in her belly and Loki took him for a long walk to explain.

The door between their chambers and the nursery opened and Tyra came in, carrying Kyra, who was crying at the top of her lungs. Selig winced and covered his ears while McKenna shifted to unbutton her top.

"Good morning, my lady. Loki said to let you sleep if possible, but this little one wanted nothing to do with any bottle."

"It's okay, Tyra." McKenna smiled as Tyra placed Kyra in her arms and the baby calmed a little. Her cheeks were bright red and her little fists waved furiously though, and it took a bit of convincing before she latched on. McKenna jumped a little, sucking in a sharp breath, but then she relaxed, smiling as she heard Selig mutter, "Ew."

"Momma?" Aislinn toddled in, holding onto Loki's hand. "Sewig!"

She let go of Loki's hand to race over to the bed, where she tried in vain to climb up. "Momma!"