Chapter Thirty-Three

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

McKenna gave Loki's hand a squeeze. "Don't look so uncomfortable, Loki. It was six years ago."

"I know, but I feel that beast's damage every time I set foot on this elevator."

"What beast, Daddy?" Selig asked, looking from her to Loki and back.

"Never you mind, little man," Loki said.

"Do you mean the Hulk?" Selig asked, his eyes narrowing. McKenna bit back a smile as he added, "Did he Hulksmash you, Daddy?"

Loki rolled his eyes. "It was a cheap shot, as your mother would say."

"Why did he Hulksmash you, Daddy?" Aislinn asked, her eyes almost perfectly round as she stared up at Loki.

He let out a gusty sigh. "As I said, it was a cheap shot."

McKenna elbowed him playfully. "You called him a dull creature, remember?"

"Thank you, love. I needed that."

She pressed her lips together at the irritation in his voice. "Well, perhaps if you had played a little nicer..."

The elevator stopped and the doors opened into Tony Stark's penthouse. As they stepped inside, Selig let out a whoop and made a beeline for Steve Rogers, yelling, "Cap!"

"Hey, little man." Steve crouched to catch him, letting out a grunt as Selig ran into him and threw his arms about him. "I'd pick you up, but I think you'd collapse my spine."

"Sorry, Cap. I grew."

Steve laughed as he easily lifted Selig. "No problem. It's good thing." His blue eyes flicked to McKenna and Loki. "It's good to have you back, Loki."

With that, he extended a hand. Loki glanced down at it, then back up at Steve, and then accepted his hand. "Thank you."

Steve then leaned over to brush McKenna's cheek with a kiss. "I can only imagine how relieved you must be."

"You have no idea." McKenna cast a tender glance at Loki, threading her fingers through his to squeeze his hand. He squeezed back, his expression softening. "Is Blossom here?"

"She's out on the terrace, enjoying a little bit of quiet. It's been a rough few weeks for her as well."

"I know that feeling."

"Hey, Cap, can we go out on the terrace and see her?" Selig asked.

"If it's all right with Mom."

"Mommy?"

She nodded. The terrace had a high wall and she trusted Steve. "Just don't drive Cap or Blossom crazy, okay, Sel?"

"I won't, Mommy."

"He never does." Steve grinned.

"Where's Natasha?" Aislinn asked, as Steve carried Selig toward the glass doors leading to the terrace.

Pepper strode toward them, her smile growing brighter as it fell on McKenna. "I'm so glad you guys could make it," she said by way of greeting, engulfing McKenna in warm hug. "And I am so happy for you, McKenna."

"Thank you."

"Welcome home, Loki," Pepper said, hugging Loki as well.

He didn't look entirely comfortable, but managed to smile. "Thank you."

"Pepper?" Aislinn asked. "Where's Natasha?"

"She and Clint will be here soon, love. But until they do, how would you like to come with me and take a little tour of Tony's toys?" She looked up at Loki and then to McKenna. "If it's okay with you, of course."