Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

McKenna shivered, and Sif looked down at her. “Are you all right, Your Highness?”

She nodded, scanning the bar for James. She found him in a dark booth in the corner. “I’m fine. Someone just walked over my grave.”

Royce gave her an odd look. “I beg your pardon?”

“It means I just got a weird chill, that’s all. I’m fine.” She gestured to the booth. “I’ll be there. You guys stay right here,” she pointed to the table in front of them, “and try to be inconspicuous, okay?”

Neither one looked happy, but at her stern stare, they each drew out a chair and dropped into it. They already attracted enough attention, in their armor, and looked for all the world like refugees from a Renaissance Fair. Fortunately, Amy knew McKenna, and for some reason, the sight of the two giant Asgardians in armor, each with a sword at their side, didn’t seem to faze her.

Thank God for small favors.

McKenna made her way to the booth. “James.”

He looked up and for a moment, McKenna felt like she was eight years old again. Only this time, she didn’t want to hug him or go for a shoulder ride.

She wanted to throw something at him.

But she squashed that thought as she sank into the booth across from him. He smiled, his gray-blue eyes watery and red. “I’m so glad you’re here, Munch—”

“A few rules,” she said briskly, flipping open the menu. “First, stop calling me Munchkin. My name is McKenna. I’m not your little girl any more.

“Second, there is no going down memory lane. I’m not interested. And third, if I ask you a question, I expect a truthful answer.”

He nodded and when she didn’t continue, said, “Any other rules?”

“I’ll let you know when you break one.”

“Fair enough.” He opened his own menu. “What is good here?”

“Everything. We come here all the time.”

As if on cue, Diana, one of the waitresses, came over. “Hey, McKenna… where’s Loki and the kids tonight?”

“The kids are away visiting their grandfather and Loki is away on business.”

“I see you brought the cavalry with you.” Diana gestured to Sif and Royce with her pen. “Should I get them anything?”

“Yes. Get Royce a steak. The biggest one you have and Sif a cheeseburger. And all the sides.”

“Got it. What about you two?”

“I need a minute or two,” James said.

“Okay. Anything to drink?”

McKenna nodded. “A glass of pinot. Cavit, please.”

“And you, sir?”

“A water.”

“Okay. I’ll be right back.”

McKenna waited for Diana to walk away before saying, “No Budweiser?”

James flinched. “I gave up drinking a year ago. For good.”

“Why?”

“I was diagnosed with cirrhosis.”

“When?”