Chapter 1 - The Protest

Start from the beginning

She winced as the flashbacks rushed in rapidly.

A hand came flying and violently slapped her causing her to lose her balance and consciousness simultaneously. The next time, she opened her eyes she found herself lying on her bed, several pipes and medical equipment attached to her while her mother was sitting right beside holding her fragile hand within her delicate fingers.

For a quick second, her eyes went wide in terror and hands turned cold. She clenched her eyes shut and shook her head, trying not to remember the traumatizing event. She didn't even notice when she had started shaking violently until her mother, Priyasha, wrapped her hands around her. Ritusha opened her eyes and witnessed her limbs twitching in an appalling manner.

"Ritu!" Priyasha exclaimed while Dr. Ishaan quickly came over and checked on her pulses.

"Maa- ii-it's co-coming back!" She mumbled while streams of tears rolled down her cheeks.

Priyasha looked over her shoulder to her husband, Abhiraj, terrified to speak anything. Abhiraj, however, sat there quietly while his jaws continued clenching and unclenching.

Dr. Ishaan put his stethoscope in his ears and started examining her heartbeats.

Priyasha turned back and watched her shaking daughter with moist eyes. A tiny sob erupted from her mouth as she mumbled, "My baby, please calm down. You're safe now."

Ritusha gasped for air. "Maa...I-I can't sto-stop it. I'm- I'm sorry." She squeaked pathetically.

As a response, Priyasha held onto her and continued sobbing in silence.

Dr. Ishaan moved quickly to the shelf to his right and pulled out a glass container. He came back to the table by taking two long strides. Pouring two capsules onto his palm, he spoke gravely, "Don't hold her too tightly. Rub her back instead and let her breath. She's having difficulty in breathing."

Priyasha loosened her hold immediately and started rubbing her daughter's back.

The doctor pushed the pills into her open mouth and poured water into a glass. "Drink this water, Ritusha. You'll be alright."

She raised her shaking hand and grabbed the glass.

"Don't bother about that. I'll hold it for you." Dr. Ishaan assured her.

She wanted to look at the doctor, but could not make eye contact. She blinked several times to clear her vision while Dr. Ishaan held the tip of the glass against her mouth. She sipped a mouthful of water and swallowed the pills with difficulty.

Dr. Ishaan moved behind his table and sat down. "She'll be alright. Mr. Roy," He shifted his eyes on Abhiraj. "Ritusha needs comfort from all your family members. She has developed PTSD." There was a momentary pause. No one moved except Ritusha who was still shaking. Dr. Ishaan continued, "I reckon, it happened as an aftermath of the attack. Generally, the symptoms of PTSD, or medically termed as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, starts developing after a month the traumatic event has occurred. But it's not always true. Sometimes, the symptoms of the trauma can remain hidden for years, because some victims might not be symptomatic right after the traumatized event. In Ritusha's case, it came later as she slipped into coma due to her acute brain injury. So, any mention of the traumatizing event can trigger her PTSD. How long has she been having the nightmares?"

Priyasha rocked her daughter soothingly while Abhiraj responded in a composed tone, "According to her mother, since a week."

Ishaan nodded understandingly. "Then I'll suggest to put her on medication from now on. We need to emphasis on her mental health simultaneously. Good thing is, PTSD is not incurable. With proper care and support, she'll begin her recovery soon. Until then..." He averted his eyes on Priyasha, then focused his gaze on Ritusha and added, "we all need to have patience with her."