The Kiss Of The Goat: Part Five

Beverly Hills.

25th December- 1971

The next two year passed by quickly in Beverly Hills, the festive period soon returned. The mansion had been decorated with candles and elegant festive decorations, the scent of cinnamon lingered in the main hall. One tall dark Krampus tree sat not far away from the white marble fireplace, it was decorated with sharp ended candy canes and crimson coloured baubles. Caramel dipped popcorn chains hung from it's branches, the odd Krampus decoration was hidden within the pine tree. There was neatly wrapped boxes and toys beneath the tree, it was a sinister scene. Sister Imperator wanted everything to perfect for her little boy's upcoming second birthday, she was patiently waiting for him to wake up from his slumber. Since Nihil had returned to Italy Sister Imperator could bring up her Son with ease and continue working at the Los Angeles Ministry, she didn't have to worry about her former lover turning up unannounced. She didn't want the former Papa Emeritus in her child's life, he would ruin his future chances within the Clergy since he already had three Sons of his own.

The clock on the mantelpiece chimed when it's hands turned to eight o'clock, her little bundle of joy should be waking up very soon. Sister got up from her armchair and approached the fireplace, her gaze lingered on a photograph of her only child in a silver photo frame. Copia was a happy little soul, his cheery manner could be infectious. Sister adored her little boy, he meant the world to her. She still planned for him to become the future Papa Emeritus of the Clergy, but for now she wanted him to be brought up in a blissful environment. Her thoughts were soon disturbed by footsteps on the stairway, the sweetest little voice echoed throughout the main hall.

" Sister!"

Sister Imperator smiled to herself, it seemed like her little boy had finally arisen. Turning her head she was greeted by Copia and his Italian nanny, he was still dressed in his little red cotten pyjamas and his tiny slippers. His dark hair was sticking up on one side, his thumb was resting against the corner of his mouth while his rat teddy hanged freely from his hand. A smile crept across his features, his mismatched eyes were filled with excitement. Sister's voice broke the silence of the main hall, her speaking tone was soft.

" Good morning, my little devil." She smiled while she held her hands towards him. " Come to Sister, I've got a big surprise for you!"

" Oh!" He said.

Copia's hand slipped away from his nanny's hand before he hurried towards his Motherly figure, he lost both of his slippers along the way. Sister immediately scooped him up from the floor, she held him above her head and kissed his cheeks in turn when she pulled him into a warm embrace. His little legs curled around her waist, he rested his head upon her shoulder while he sucked at his thumb. Copia was still sleepy, he had gone to bed late last night due to the excitement of his upcoming birthday. She kissed his forehead while she took a couple of steps away from the fireplace, her gaze fell upon the devilish looking Krampus tree.

" Happy Birthday, my darling boy." She said before she pointed over at pine tree. " Look at what Krampus has brought for you this year, his unholiness must be very pleased with your naughty behaviour. You are a very lucky boy!"

" All for me, yes?!" He asked.

" They're all for you." She replied.

Sister smiled at Copia, his angelic features were beaming with happiness while he bobbed with excitement in her arms. She soon placed him down on his feet and watched him hurrying towards the tree, he immediately pulled the smallest box from beneath the Krampus tree. He always opened the smallest presents first, he liked saving the biggest presents until last. Her thoughts were disturbed by approaching footsteps, the Sister of Sin who cared for her child had returned with a birthday cake on a wooden try. There was two blue candles burning upon it's chocolate frosting surface, it's vanilla sponge was hidden beneath the sweet chocolate dripping over it's circular edge. One paper bowl and a pile of napkins sat next to the delicious treat, there was a knife and a spoon hidden beneath the napkins. Her gaze wandered over to Copia, he hadn't noticed his birthday cake just yet. Taking the tray from the nanny's hands Sister turned around to face him, she then spoke with the Sister of Sin.

" Leave this with me, but remain close since your services are still required." She said.

The Sister of Sin bowed her head to her superior before she went to stand near the stairway of the main hall, the hall soon became silent. Sister Imperator smiled at her Son when she noticed him taking one of his presents from a box, he had received a ball in a cup from the Clergy this year. She watched him trying to play with the toy, but he ended up hitting his forehead with the rubber ball instead of getting it into the cup. His voice soon broke the silence of the hall, he didn't seem too pleased with his little mishap. His gaze met with her own, but there was no tears forming in his mismatched eyes.

" Ouch..." He said.

" Are you okay?" She asked.

" It bumped me!" He replied.

" You should bump it right back. Always remember to give back what was received." She said before she showed him the birthday cake on the tray." But look what we have here, it seems like we have birthday cake for breakfast."

" For me?!" He asked.

" All for you." She smiled.

Sister approached her child, she knelt down before him and placed the tray between them. Copia's eyes were like saucers, his gaze was mesmerised by the flickering flames of the melting candles. He placed the ball in a cup on the floor before leaned closer towards the cake, he blew the candles out in turn. A smile crept across his features when Sister applauded him, her voice soon broke the silence between them.

" Did you remember to make a birthday wish?" She asked.

" Oops..." He said.

" Don't worry, baby." She said with a reassuring smile. " You can make a wish when we find the wish bone inside the turkey."

" Yes, cool." He said.

" Now then. Would you like a slice of cake first or would you like to continue opening your presents?" She asked before she removed the candles from the cake. " The choice is yours, it's your special day after all."

" Can I eat the candles?" He asked.

" No, dear." She said in an amused tone. " Now what is your answer to my question?"

" I want the ummm cake!" He smiled.

" What a great decision!" She smiled.

Sister Imperator took the paper bowl from the tray and placed it down in front of Copia, his eyes curiously watched the knife being pulled from beneath the pile of napkins. The knife cut through the chocolate cake with ease, the layers of vanilla sponge were soon revealed. She had only cut him a small slice of birthday cake, he still had to eat his Krampus dinner.

" Just a small piece, we don't want to ruin your appetite." She said.

" Okay, Sister!" He said.

" Such a good little boy." She smiled.

" Thank you." He said.

Placing the slice of cake into his bowl Sister watched him dipping his finger tips into the chocolate frosting, he immediately brought them to his lips. Chocolate frosting was soon smeared around his mouth, he was already making a mess before he had even tried the vanilla sponge. Sister smiled lovingly at her Son, she gave him a napkin and a spoon before she got to her feet. She beckoned to her Son's nanny, she told her to stay with Copia until she returned. She didn't want to leave him, but she had some last minute paperwork to complete before she could enjoy the rest of Krampus Day with her little boy.