𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Start from the beginning

"So, are we gonna do, like, rock, paper, scissors? Or alphabetically? Or, like, the oldest goes?" Kie asked as they boy worked on opening up the sewers.

Once they were successful in doing that, JJ was the first to answer her. "In the sewer, there's this worm that you get when you're down there. It gets into your blood, and then it has to come out your pecker. So, uh...that would be a hard pass for me."

"That's gonna be a no for me," Pope agreed.

"I don't know about you, Kie," the Callaway girl spoke up with a small smirk as she stepped toward the boys. "But I think that they don't wanna go because they're scared."

The Carrera girl nodded in agreement, giggling slightly as the boys tried to deny the fact that they all knew was true. "I think so too. It's kind of cute. You should've just led with that. You don't have to be scared. I'll do it."

"Okay, just, you know, be careful," Pope told her, opening the grate for her so that she could step inside.

She looked back up at him before she crouched down, and they all remembered the times that they would make fun of John B for saying that exact same thing to Sarah. "I'll be so careful."

"I deserve that," he muttered, and then she got down on her hands and knees and began crawling through the disgusting, murky water to look for the gun that would prove their friend's innocence.

"Just, uh, holler if you need anything, okay?" the blonde boy called to her, but Bree furrowed her eyebrows as she wondered what he would do if their friend needed anything. "We'll, uh... we'll holler back."

Kie's voice echoed through the tunnel as she responded, "Very helpful. Thank you."

"Yell if you need me to come save you because I think it's pretty obvious that these dumbasses won't do anything," the brunette girl shouted through the drain, crouching down to make sure that her female friend heard her.

"Thanks, Bree," the Carrera girl said gratefully. "Good to know that someone has my back."

After waiting a couple minutes for the girl to get far enough down the drain that she could actually start looking for the weapon. JJ yelled down the pipe, "Kie do you see the gun?"

"Nope," she answered.

Pope thought for a second before informing her, "It's probably at the bottom of the catch basin." Then, the two boys turned to each other and lowered their voices.

"All right, bro, I see you vibing on Kie, okay?" the Maybank boy told him with a suggestive smirk plastered on his face. He raised his eyebrows at the Heyward boy. "Give me the details. Are we talking first base, second base, third base?"

"Okay, I think that is my cue to leave," Bree muttered because she was not sure if she wanted to hear the rest of that conversation. Kie might want her to spy on them, but she really did not feel like it.

JJ grabbed her arm to stop her from walking away. "Wait, wait, wait. Kie's probably told you all the gossip, so you mind sharing a little bit with us?"

"Why would I do that?" she questioned.

He shrugged, gesturing to the boy next to him. "It would really help out Pope here so he can get a vibe of how Kie is feeling. So, why don't you help a bro out?"

"Hoes before bros," was all she answered, throwing her hands up to show him that she could not tell him anything. "I cannot give any confidential information without the permission of Miss Carrera."

"Okay, you know what? You are no help. You can go now," he told her with a playfully bitter voice, and she gladly walked away, telling them to call her over if anything happened. She walked down the dock beside them and just stared out at the water for a moment.