𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱

THEY WERE NOW OFFICIALLY IN HIDING, OR AT LEAST, JOHN B WAS

THEY WERE NOW OFFICIALLY IN HIDING, OR AT LEAST, JOHN B WAS. They were in the car, and they were parked under some abandoned barn-looking thing. Two police cars passed them, and they had the seats leaned back so that no one could see them unless they were looking directly through the windows.

The radio gave them updates about what was happening. "And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—"

Kie reached over and shut it off when she realized it wasn't helping. "Let's game this out," JJ announced. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but...who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused...is John B, who is...pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks," the Routledge boy responded, shooting him a sarcastic smile 

Bree, who again, was in the very back — only all by herself — groaned, running a stressed hand through her hair. What the hell were they gonna do? She muttered, "Shit."

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right?" the Maybank boy told him, causing Kie, Pope, and John B to roll their eyes at him. "I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit, all right? Sarah's gonna bail me out," the brunette told informed them, and he seemed like he was pretty confident that she would come to his rescue.

The Carrera girl nodded, "She did witness the whole thing."

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope asked her with raised eyebrows, and he had a point. What was Sarah going to do when she faced with the choice between her family and her friends?

"Not happening, bro. Okay?" JJ told him, sitting up to stare down at his best friend, and Bree honestly had no idea what to say because she didn't know who Sarah would choose. "We've gotta get you off the island."

Pope said, "The ferry. It's the only way."

"Yeah, you gotta exit stage left while you still can, man, okay? Before the entire island is on lockdown," the Maybank boy added.