Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

I'm sure the only reason Rayan isn't there was his determination to find me.

"You haven't asked of the annoyances of my journey," he says, walking beside me through the gold corridors. "Let me start by saying I'm very much glad you've been appointed to commander of the seas for I fear I am a poor sailor."

I laugh, handing him back his empty canteen. "In what regard?"

"I went green every time we hit a wave, brother." He shivers at his memories. "I never kept a thing in my belly—"

Loafers against the shined floor are easily detected by class. Low class, you can hardly hear footsteps approach. Shoes made from gold plating clack against the marble, noting the arrival of wealth. My brother and I hear the entrance of the latter subject—two men. Our father's steward and another I cannot recognize from my brief occasions spent in court.

Both men bow graciously as we pass them but Roth addresses us.

"Overlord," he says to my brother before turning to me. "My prince, I'd like to introduce you to our newest entry into court, newly appointed after receiving a royal warrant of appointment for exchanged goods."

"Welcome," Rayan says with an approving nod.

The man, no older than my brother, straightens his embroidered coat. "I'm honored, Your Highness."

"How much has he shown you?" Rayan places a hand on his shoulder. "Follow us. We're headed for drink. Care to join?"

As if he'd refuse the crown prince...

It's so like Rayan... to rally others to a good time.

Our steward bows as we pass him, heading into the buttery to fetch the aged spirits. Desiring a repose to the incessant thoughts plaguing my mind, I select a port from one of the crates.

"I just brought that into harbor." The man grins, grabbing one with me, admiring the color within the bottle. "I'm told it's one of the best."

I chuckle. "Strong?"

"Lethal enough to forget your name."

The Great Hall is our destination. The table is vacant yet the remnants of the feast my father ordered to mark the return of his heir still decorate the room. Rayan gathers a tray of various fruits and meats while I use a knife to open the bottles.

"So where are you from, lad?" Rayan asks, taking the goblets I extend to both of them. "I've never seen you in court."

"From all over, really. I travel quite a bit. But you could say Vale has always been my home."

"No place like it," Rayan says fondly, grabbing a slice of meat.

"You have family here?" I ask, leaning back. He's tall, fair-skinned, a few shades lighter than my own. His hair is the color of a chestnut, tied back neatly behind his neck and his eyes are notably dark, some of the darkest I've seen.

He shakes his head. "No, I haven't got a family."

The door swings open with a bang, the sound accompanied by fits of laughter. The wide-hipped skirts and silk jackets are suddenly everywhere crowding the table. Seems the party has gravitated out of the rooms and into the hall.

Rayan laughs, standing to share our spirits with the loud rabble of men and women. Out of the corner of my eye, Talia enters the room, slowly, looking at her husband and then to me. The harshness of our last conversation is still present in her features as she takes a seat across from us.

Not so long ago, it used to tear me apart to see him reach over and kiss her.

But now, as it happens before my eyes, I feel only indifference. I've waited long to feel so little.