113 : Let's Talk

Now, the three were left in the room. Nurse Lewis had taken Isabella to her tests, and as the three agreed, they would talk. "So, uh, you two dating?" Gallo asks. Y/n looks over to Carver, who stood next to her bedside, before replying, "Sort of, yeah. We've been on 20 dates, and it's leaning further toward serious now."
"So you're not like boyfriend girlfriend right now, but sometime soon you probably will be?"
"Probably." Carver replies.
Another long awkward silence. "This situation can't affect your work dynamic." Y/n says, "You might not want to be friends or get along, but you need to know that either one of you has the others back on a call."
The two men look at each other and nod. "Talking of work, I need to call chief."
"Do it later. You're exhausted y/n/n." The blonder man says matter-of-factly, moving a piece of her hair away from her face. "Don't worry, I've got it covered." Gallo says. The girl offers him a sympathetic smile.

***

Shortly after, the three had gone over everything, and things seemed to be okay. They sat and talked about work, mostly so y/n could go to sleep if she felt the need. She must have taken the hint as soon enough she was asleep in the hospital bed.

Gallo catches Carver watching her sleep so peacefully. The younger man speaks up, "I was engaged to her once, you know."
"She did mention something about that, actually."
"She tell you about her niece?"
"Just about how she looked after her after her brother and dad-you know."
Gallo hums softly, "She is the sweetest child you'll meet. She loves writing and reading, proper English fanatic. She likes maths too, to be fair." He pauses, "Honestly, she loves most aspects of learning and school. She doesn't really enjoy sports and socialising, though. However, her brother, Logan, was the opposite. He didn't like school but loved sports and socialising so much. He was a good kid. Y/n looked after them well, too, after Lucy - Harry's wife and the kids' mum - died."

The two sit in a comfortable silence with y/n sleeping, and thinking about the conversation just occurred. Carver looks up, "I was gonna ask y/n tomorrow to be official."
"Really?" Gallo questioned. The older man chuckled softly, "Yeah. I feel like I can't ask her for a few more weeks now. You know, with her being a new mother and stuff."
"I get it. She can take a while to adjust to certain things. Just be there for her, make her know that, and in a few weeks, when she's secure, ask her. I'm sure she'll say yes. You two would be great together."
Carver gives Gallo a look. A sort of 'thank you, it means a lot' look.

The two stand up, giving each other a hug. It wasn't one that either did often, yet they felt the need on this occasion. "I know your situation isn't ideal and not what you wanted, but I'm here if you need to talk."
"Thanks, Carver." The two nod at each other before taking seats again. Carver chuckles, "How we managed to go on 20 dates in 10 weeks in between work, life and appointments is far beyond me." The two men laughed together before settling back into silence.

They sat in another comfortable silence. Casually, the ebony-haired man looked down at his watch, looking for the time. "How long ago did they take the baby?"
"A while ago. Maybe an hour or two?" The blonder one replies with a  cocked brow. Before he could add on the male nurse from before, he walked back in with the baby's bassinet. "I'm so sorry for the long wait. Audiology was backed up. Here is the baby girl. The doctor will be back soon to check on Mum and just give some papers to sign. She'll also go through babys test results."
The boys nod as the nurse leaves. They give each other a look before leaving the woman's bedside and walking closer to the baby.

As they get closer, they are met with a sleeping baby. They stand there with smiles on their faces.

Dr Asher walks through the door, a smile on her face. In her hand is a pile of documents. Y/n begins to come to, slowly opening her eyes. The boys stay huddled at the bassinet, smiles still plastered on their faces.

The new mother's eyes flutter open, meeting those of the blonde doctor. "Hey y/n. How are we feeling?"
"Sore but okay." She says with a smile. Looking over to the boys, the smile returns. The doctor smiles, "I have some paperwork for you to fill out. Do you mind doing it now?"
"No, not at all."

The mother begins filling out the paperwork until she gets to the birth certificate, the final stage. "Dr. Asher?"
"Hm?"
"What do I do here?" Y/n asks, pointing to the part titled Father.
"The birth certificate does not require anyone beneath this title. However, if no one is listed, you are the only person with legal rights to the baby."
The younger girl nods at the doctor. "Gallo," she breaks him from the baby's side, "can you sign this?" He nods, "What does it do?"
"Just gives you legal rights." He nods again.