𝐨𝐧𝐞. detention complex

          Father used to say, "Don't raise your voice

          Father used to say, "Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument." it's what he did. It's what he did to protect his family. Any outsider wouldn't believe him, but in the end, it was all he wanted.

          But, Damian LaVeau was not a good person. His desperate need of killing every month got the better of him. The psychopath had to get his needs out of the way. Soleil knew he wanted to stop, but he just couldn't. Because that's a killer's flaw. He can't stop.

          Damian stared in his daughter's eyes, holding the phone to his ear. He leaned forward on his elbows, nearly touching the glass wall in between them. "I missed you, Sunshine," He smiled at the only person he cared about. "How're you holding up?"

          "I'm holding up," Soleil avoided the question. "Are they treating you alright here, Pops?"

          Damian shrugged. "Got food, got a place to sleep. What more can a man need?"

          Freedom, Soleil thought, a man would want his freedom. She decided not to say anything. Soleil agreed sto weekly meetings with her dad, and she liked that she could still see him, but the vibe wasn't the same as it used to.

          All she could see when she looked at her father was the memory of his face splattered with her mom's blood. Right after he blew her brains off.

          After a moment of silence, Damian changed the subject. "How's that boy you're dating? What was his name again? Evan, Easton?"

          "Ethan." Soleil corrected. "He's amazing -as he always has been. I'm finally getting him to go out more. You know he used to not leave his dorm."

          "Ah, yes, I remember that," Damian laughed at the memory. "Have you finally told your friends about him? It's been six months already, hasn't it?"

          Soleil looked down. She shook her head and sighed. "I think I waited for too long. It has been six months, so it'd be stupid to say now," Her tone became chattier. "But it's okay. I can handle a double life by now."