I found myself unable to speak, so I just bit my lip and nodded slowly.

The drive to the courthouse seemed long, but I wanted it to be longer, because by the time we pulled into the parking lot, the thoughts that I thought I had gathered became scattered again, and I felt my breathing quicken as I tried to reel them back in.

Soda put a hand on my shoulder without a word, keeping it there every step of the way.

The large, heavy courtroom doors opened, and whether it was the heat or my anxiety, I felt a thin film of sweat start to bead my forehead and trembling palms.

I looked at those sitting in the benches. I saw many unfamiliar faces, but a few I recognized.

Johnny, Steve, and Two-Bit all sat together in the back row. I knew why — Greasers were the last people you would expect in the viewing seats: people expected them to be in the stands or up at the defendant's table, just like every other trial, where Socs bullied Greasers or even those in the middle to stay on top.

Today was no different, except that I was that Soc.

I just hoped the jury would think so.

I could tell the three of them tried to look somewhat put together. Although they still put grease in their hair, they wore clean clothes and Johnny even took off his jean jacket, wearing just a black T-shirt and a clean pair of jeans.

Dally wasn't with them, but I didn't expect him to be, and quite frankly, I didn't want him to be. With his track record with the police, his presence would bring a tense air into the room that would only make things worse.

A few rows ahead of them were Cassie and her boyfriend, David. He was a Greaser too, but since he was with a middle-class girl, people just assumed he was, too.

Violet was there, just as she told me she would be, next to her dark-haired fiancée. She had her blonde ringlets pinned up by combs and she wore a sky-blue dress underneath a small, quarter-sleeve sweater. Her hands were covered by delicate white gloves, and I found myself wondering how she wasn't sweating.

Who was I kidding, it was Violet. She was as cool as a cucumber, unbothered by nearly everything...

Except for that night that Jonathan came to the diner. Her panicked eyes were seared into my memory, and as we walked down the aisle, I couldn't shake the memory away.

The walk to my seat felt like miles, as nearly every head in the room turned toward us. If it wasn't for Soda's hand on my shoulder pushing me forward, I was afraid I'd faint right then and there.

The four of us sat in the front, right behind the prosecution table. Sitting there was none other than my boss, Linda, and her lawyer. Linda peered behind herself, meeting my eyes and giving me a reassuring smile.

I weakly smiled back, clasping my trembling hands together as the judge began the proceedings. I did my best not to meet the eyes of the defendant sitting less than twenty feet away from me, but his presence loomed over me and refused to let me ignore it.

Why was I so nervous? I had been praying for this day for months, but now that it was here, it was as if I wished it wasn't.

Soda grabbed my hand as, one by one, the witnesses were called to the stand. First was Linda, then Violet.

"Ms. Graham," Linda's lawyer asked, "you are employed at Jackson Creek Dinery, correct?"

I looked at her. She looked strong and firm as always, an unwavering flag in the wind. I longed to be her.

"Yessir," she said as a gloved hand flicked a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"And you were working on September 20th?"

"Yessir," she repeated.

"What happened that day, Ms. Graham?"

"Well," she started, her voice amplifying across the room over the small microphone in front of her, "I was taking orders at the bar when," she pointed at the defendant table, "he came in with a knife."

"Tell me, Ms. Graham, did he seem under the influence? Intoxicated, maybe?"

She nodded. "It seemed like it, yes."

The lawyer nodded, satisfied with her answer. "Did the defendant threaten you or your coworkers in any way?"

She nodded again. "Yes."

"Did he threaten to rob the diner?"

"Yes," she said as she looked at me, and I suddenly felt small when her eyes met mine. She was confident, her posture stiff as a board, while I sat slumped and shaking.

"Did he demand anything else?" Linda's lawyer had begun pacing back and forth, his hands behind his back as he talked. It was a power move, showing that he was confident that he was going to win.

I could only hope so.

"Yes," she nodded.

"And what was that?"

She swallowed, her eyes still fixated on me. "He asked where Cary was."

The lawyer turned towards me, pointing a finger in my direction. I felt my chest tighten, and Soda squeezed my hand. I squeezed back as if I was going to fall over if I didn't. "Ms. Curtis?"

"Yes, he was asking where she was."

The lawyer lowered his hand. "Very well. No further questions, Your Honor." And with that, he returned to his seat next to Linda, signaling for Jonathan's lawyer to stand up and question. Violet's posture stood firm, but her nose turned slightly upwards as he approached her, her jaw clenched. It was her way of showing him that she didn't take him seriously and that he was below her. Classic Violet.

"Ms. Graham," he started after clearing his throat, pinching the hem of his brown suit coat, "did Mr. Davies rob the diner?"

"No," she said, her voice firm.

"But you said that he did." I felt my breath catch in the back of my throat, but Violet continued.

"I said that he threatened to rob the diner," she said, raising her voice a bit, "but he didn't leave with a penny."

I felt the corners of my mouth slightly curl into a smile. Any small victory against Jonathan felt like a victory in a war — because it was. It was one step closer.

"Very well, then," the lawyer mused, staring at the ground in front of him for a few moments before lifting his head and speaking again. "Ms. Graham, you said that Mr. Davies was asking for Ms. Curtis, is that correct?"

"Yes."

"Do you know why he asked for her?"

"To hurt her, I guess." She shrugged sassily.

"Let's not jump to conclusions, Ms. Graham. Why do you think that?"

Violet's eyes shone with victory, and I knew then that she was about to get sassy. "He had a knife, sir. I believe that's a very reasonable conclusion to jump to."

I glanced up at Darry to see his lips curl into an ever so slight smirk, his eyes glimmering quietly. A hushed layer of chuckling laughter filled the room, but not enough for the judge to strike the gavel.

The lawyer again pulled at the hem of his suit coat and gazed at the floor in front of him as he mused. After the laughter subsided, he looked towards the judge. "No further questions, Your Honor."

An officer walked to the stands and led Violet back to her seat. She gave me a wink and a smile as she passed me, which only momentarily eased my anxiety before the judge spoke up.

"Mr. Dayton, you may call up your next witness."

I froze, my breath seeming to catch in the back of my throat as Linda's lawyer leaned into the microphone in front of him.

"Ms. Caroline Curtis."

-------------------------------------------------

that's the first chapter? thoughts?

stay tuned for the next one!

(Happy 4th of July!)

Love y'all. Stay gold.