Chapter 1

NIXIE

EIGHT YEARS AGO

Something was moving up and down my back, sending shivers through me.

I had my eyes shut, but I knew who it was.

I was on my stomach, but I turned to face him and opened my eyes to be met with a pair of green ones.

I smiled as he grinned back at me.

He leaned forward and kissed my shoulder tenderly as his finger moved up and down my spine. "Good morning, beautiful," he murmured. "How do you feel?"

I knew why he was asking.

Last night we made love for the first time, and it was my first time being with someone. It hurt at first, but after that, we did it twice more.

I was on cloud nine.

I didn't want this to end, ever.

"It was perfect," I said with a smile.

Sean moved toward me and kissed the tip of my nose before resting his head on mine. "I don't want to leave," he whispered as his eyes closed.

I felt my stomach drop.

He was leaving this evening to go back to the city. I was being left behind, as I needed to be close to the sea. He still didn't know what I was. I was supposed to tell him, but we got too carried away.

Sean moved away and opened his eyes. They met mine, which heated my entire body again. I wanted him again.

I moved forward, but he moved up and sighed.

"I want to do it again," he said. "But I want to make you breakfast and spend the morning with you before I pack."

I stared at him momentarily but crept up to sit. I let the sheet that was covering me fall, revealing my breasts. The cold air made my nipples hard.

Sean stared at me as he licked his lips but shook his head.

"Don't do that," he murmured as the corners of his mouth twitched up.

I frowned.

"Do what?" I asked as I moved to the edge of the bed and stood up. I walked over to where I removed my clothes and placed them back on. I could feel Sean's eyes on me the entire time I dress.

I looked over my shoulder as I placed the strap of my dress up and saw Sean lying on the bed, his head resting on his hand as he watched me.

"You know," he said. "I will be back next year. We can pick up where we left off, make the most of the summer, and plan our future as a couple."

I stared at him.

I wanted that more than ever and for him to know more about me, but there was a sense of feeling that he wasn't telling the truth.

I was never meant to be mated to surface people, but for some strange reason, I was. I wanted everything he was saying, but more.

I made sure my dress was right and looked back at him as he sat up.

"I wish you were here all year round," I murmured, walking over to him.

Sean placed his hand on my waist and pulled me to him, making me crash into him. He smiled. Resting my hand on his shoulder, I rested my head on his. "Sweetheart," he said. "I have to go back and finish my degree, and then I am all yours."

I moved slightly and stared at him, while I placed my hands on either side of his face, trying to figure out if he had meant every single word.

I moved closer and kissed his lips, but pulled back with a smile.