Chapter 0

Chapter 0 - Introduction

After years of hard studying, I finally made it to one of the best schools in all of America: the University of Helios.

It's gonna be hard to try to make it, as I am confined to a hover-chair for movement, but the fact that as a disabled man, I managed to make it to one of the world's top schools - this shouldn't irk me.

I make for the first train to Cambridge, Lemon City tomorrow.

But maybe I should explain what exactly is happening.

Hi.

My name is Daniel John Diligence. My nickname is DJ. Call me Denny, DJ, whatever.

I was born with a condition which made my legs static. My mother and father were sobbing as the doctors - and they had to - cut them off.

...I was 14.

But I didn't mind. Walking was overrated for me. It makes me too tired.

Anyway, my dream has always been to become a politician.

When I was 15, a "world war" broke out when 5 of the 7 great political powers: the Monarchy of Kokkino Fillio; the United Republic of North America, that's where I'm from; the Republic of Gaul; the Tuscan Islands; and the parliamentary Frankish Empire, had some differences. It was called "the 9-Months World War". Or "World War 9".

It took the influence of the Japanese Empire and the Union of Europe Powers to stop the conflict, with vicious and vengeful fighting, worldwide and deeply-felt. Many lives were lost, another bunch permanently maimed, and mentally scarred for life.

The entire battle had originated from a dispute with the world powers of Gaul and the Frankish Empire about whose country is taking rights and freedoms, and whose country isn't.

It was a humanitarian war. A gunfight. And Gaul was the one who shot the first bullet.

It was stopped by a compromise all nations worldwide embraced. It was an international compromise: the Wokeness Convention.

A semi-stable agreement, it was decided, right then and there, that anyone, of any particular country, anytime, who was discriminated against - not depending on that nation-state's definition of discrimination, but on the Convention's definition of any one act denominated as "discriminatory", so severe that it warrants condemnation - the said perpetrator of such an act would be taken to the "World Judiciary Court of Complaints", and their humiliation would be streamed on worldwide screens.

It was the most comprehensive defense for public and human rights and freedoms ever put forth by an assortment of large countries. I was there, when I watched the President of America, John Dahmer Bickering, as "nothing more or nothing less than the biggest defense for the public's freedoms and rights since the Bridge Compromise".

With the Bridge Compromise being a document authored by former Senator Clancy Markham Bridge, which pleaded for the complete abolishment of the state system of America before Congress "in order to put the people first" as a result of the conflict.

Then the most stable government human wisdom ever came up with was created: "United Republic of North America".

That moment made me decide for myself, at age 15, that "that's it, I'm going to become a politician".

Or some kind of other job, like a writer or speaker. I don't know.

After that, I studied... a lot. I've probably watched more hours of history or PBS Politics documentaries than the average adult historian or politics junkie. Probably because I'm a huge crippled nerd. I don't know. Take your pick. Don't take it from me.

And after a lot of work and effort, among other things, I managed to get accepted to one of America's finest institutions, the University of Helios. At the age of 17.

Yeah, I just so happen to be one of the younger enrolling students at a school that's the Juilliard for the arts and letters.

Take my "sob story" for what you will. This is my life, and I decide what I intend to do with it. And... Plans change over time, and... maybe after school, I'll end up becoming a musician or a pharmacist. God forbid, a Congressman.

Who knows?

Life is one long path to death, and every bus stop is a form of enlightenment, because the truth waits patiently for every one of us.

The world is a weird place; it gave me a chance most young men, God knows how many crippled persons, would stab for. I intend to use this chance the way I see fit, and hey... maybe I'll meet certain colorful people out there. Because life is experience; politics is a way to organize it.