Chapter 52

Thomas and Gally went into the city to retrieve Teresa. Emma was grateful that she wasn't with them this time. It was silent as they waited for their return. Emma found a corner to curl up in.

Her mind was fracturing under the stress. The tension in her body was seconds away from breaking, and Emma wasn't sure what would happen then.

Would there be anything left of her this time?

She ignored the pitiful glances her friends cast her way. It was clear they wanted to talk to her, but they didn't. Truthfully, they weren't sure what to say. Emma was grateful they stayed away. Right now, she needed time to herself—time to think about everything.

Teresa would be here soon. The person who betrayed them. The reason Minho and others were taken. The reason Emma had been shot. Teresa didn't pull the trigger, but she may as well have in Emma's mind. She blamed her.

Newt had the Flare. He was infected. Without the serum, he would turn into a crank. The idea made her nauseous. Losing Newt to something like that made her feel helpless. She couldn't help him.

Gally's alive. He's alive, and he's helping them. It still didn't feel real. Emma understood how he survived. He was rescued, but why hadn't he looked for them? For her? He must have realized that the people who took them were WICKED soldiers. Did he assume she was dead?

It wouldn't have surprised her. He didn't believe she would survive anyway. Or maybe he didn't care.

They never answered the question of what they were. Emma didn't know what they were or what they could have become. Was it one-sided? She was the only girl, after all. This community had hundreds of women, many their age.

Had Gally found someone?

Emma's eyes closed, a pained breath escaping. There were options now, and a lot of time had passed. He must have moved on. That's why he didn't care to look for her. He found someone he actually cared about.

"They're back," Jorge said. Emma blinked a few times, forcing the thoughts away. "You coming?"

"Yeah," her voice was hoarse. She cleared her throat. "Yeah." Standing up from her spot, she stiffly followed him into the room.

Entering, she noticed Newt standing beside a chair. A girl was sitting there with a bag on her head. Teresa. The others were gathered around a table. Gally leaned on the wood while Thomas and Frypan were seated. At the end was Brenda. Ducking her head, Emma immediately went to sit beside her. Both for comfort and to distance herself from Teresa and Gally.

When she sat down, Newt took the opportunity to rip the bag off her head. Teresa gasped, breathing heavily. She looked at Newt before surveying the room. "Gally?" The sight of him alive was most shocking.

Emma rested her elbows on her knees and her chin on her knuckles. Seeing Teresa wasn't as hard as she was expecting. The betrayal she originally felt came rushing back. Emma felt herself becoming angry. It wasn't hard to see the girl who had stabbed them in the back. It simply made her mad that she trusted her to begin with.

"Here's how this will go." Gally didn't acknowledge her reaction. Used to it by now. "We'll ask you some questions, and you'll tell us exactly what we want to know." He stood up and grabbed a chair. "Let's start simple. Where's Minho?"

"You don't really think-"

Teresa was cut off by Gally slamming the chair in front of her. He sat on it backward. "Don't look at him." He crossed his arms over the wood. "Why are you looking at him? Look at me." Emma's breath caught in her throat at the authority in his tone. She dug her fingers into her thighs. "He's not going to help you." Thomas remained silent. "We know you have Minho inside the building. Where?"