Chapter 10

Another two weeks in the Glade had gone by without incident.

Emma wore a dark blue jacket, which didn't belong to her. She was cold, but it was warm out. The shower water was always cold, and she hated how her hair felt against her clothes. Wearing a jacket gave her an extra layer of protection.

As she walked toward the Kitchens, she noticed a familiar blond leaning over the table talking to Jack. She bit her lip, walking up behind him. Jack noticed her but didn't say anything. He simply pretended she wasn't there.

Once Emma was close enough, she reached forward and tapped Newt's side. "Hey."

Newt jumped two feet in the air, a gasp leaving him. He spun around. "You bloody Slinthead. You scared the Klunk out of me."

"Sorry," she couldn't help but laugh. Her laugh had always been a bit loud, but she didn't mind. It was her laugh. She couldn't change it. "Couldn't help myself." Newt had become her closest friend in the month and a half since she entered the Glade. He had been by her side since the day she arrived. They were glued to each other, and that didn't bother her one single bit. In fact, Emma preferred it. She was comfortable around him. He made her feel safe.

Newt chuckled, throwing an arm over her shoulder. "Should have you thrown in the Pit."

"Yeah," she snorted. "I'm sure Alby would allow that." Newt knew he wouldn't. "What are you guys going over here?"

"We ran into each other," Jack explained. "We were both coming to get some water before hitting the sack."

"Didn't mean to interpret. I'll let you get back to it."

Newt rolled his eyes. "You're never interpreting, Greenie."

"Not the Greenie." He knew she was going to say that.

"Fine, Glader Girl."

Emma tapped her chin. "I think I liked Greenie better."

Jack stretched his arms over his head. "I'm going to head to my hammock. See you sorry Shank's in the morning."

"Later, Jack," Emma called out.

The brown-haired boy waved, walking into the darkness. "What are you doing over here anyway?"

"Grabbing a snack," she began. "And don't remind me of meal times. I asked Frypan first."

"I wasn't going to." He lifted his hands in surrender. "Want me to go with you?" The Kitchen shack was twenty feet away, but she would have to go inside to find food.

Emma waved her hand, taking a step back. "Don't worry. I know you're tired. Plus, I might hang out a while." Nights were hard for her. She was often restless and unable to sleep. Afterward, she planned to walk around or sit on the tree hut and stare at the Maze until her mind finally quieted.

"Okay," Newt was hesitant. "Only if you're sure."

She nodded. "Don't worry about me."

"Worry about you? Never."

She laughed again. "See you tomorrow."

"Later, Greenie."

Emma threw her head back, groaning at the nickname that never seemed to go away. Silently, she walked toward the Kitchen. Her hair was still wet, but the hot, humid air surrounding her helped dry it faster. She knew it would be frizzy, but she usually put her hair up. Working in the Gardens caused her to sweat. If her hair was down, it would get stuck to her skin.

Emma crouched down, going through the boxes containing different fruits and vegetables. At dinner, Minho ate half her sandwich. It was funny at the time because she wasn't hungry. That was something she regretted now. Emma was starving.