Chapter 29

By the next day, half the Glade was sleeping outside the Maze doors. Surprisingly, Emma was able to sleep through the night. When the doors opened the next morning, she didn't hear them.

"Guys," Chuck called. "Get up!" Hearing Chuck yelling was enough to finally wake her. Emma quickly forced herself off the ground. She stumbled in front of the doors as they opened fully. She searched inside, hoping to see the three.

But there was nothing, just an empty corridor.

Any hope that Emma had vanished in an instant. They were gone. Minho, Alby, and Thomas had been lost to the Maze. "I told you, Chuck," Newt said, patting his shoulder. "They're not coming back." Newt turned around, eyes locking with Emma. Both of them were semi-hopeful that the others would return. It was clear now they wouldn't.

Emma turned on her heel, preparing to walk away with Newt. Gally had been right. She was disappointed that they were gone. What was supposed to happen now? Alby, the leader, was gone.

"No way," Zart spoke from behind her.

"Yeah!"

Emma glanced over her shoulder curiously. To her amazement, three people were walking down the Maze corridor. Thomas was helping Minho drag Alby's unconscious body. The other Gladers laughed in amazement. All of them were stunned to see the three alive.

Emma couldn't believe what she was seeing. Minho, Alby, and Thomas were alive. They survived an entire night in the Maze.

The Gladers rushed forward as the three entered the Glade. "I got him. I got him," Jeff said. Minho passed Alby to Jeff, who helped lower him onto the ground. "Watch out. Take it easy." A group had formed around them.

"What happened? How did you guys make it out?" That was what everyone wanted to know. Emma moved closer, staring at the three with wide eyes. She felt as if she was dreaming.

Minho and Thomas fell to their knees. They were exhausted from spending an entire night in the Maze. Alby was unconscious but alive. He was bleeding from a cut on his head. Emma didn't care how he got it, just that he was alive. The Glade needed him. "Did you guys see a Griever?"

"Yeah, we saw one," Thomas panted. He used his arm to wipe the sweat off his forehead.

"He didn't just see it," Minho exhaled loudly. "He killed it." The revelation was more shocking than them being alive. She hadn't been expecting Minho to say that.

Jeff glanced at Alby, remembering he was injured. "We need to get him to the Med-Jack hut." All eyes went to the injured leader of the Glade.

"Right." They had to prioritize Alby's health. There would be time later to talk about the details. A few Gladers picked up Alby. "Someone get them some water and food!" Newt was giving out instructions. "We'll call a Gathering. Figure out what to do." He glanced at Emma, who nodded at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Things are changing," Gally spoke to the room. Newt had called a Gathering after Minho and Thomas were able to eat and get some water. Everyone in the Glade was there. Emma had been to a meeting of the Keepers before but never a Gathering. It was intimidating.

Emma sat beside Chuck in the front row. Jack was on her other side, leg bouncing nervously. All of the Keepers were standing in the center. Thomas was alongside them, but he was sitting down. "We can't deny that." Everyone remained silent, letting him speak. "First, Ben gets stung in the middle of the day. Then Alby. Then our Greenie here takes it upon himself to run into the Maze. That is a violation of our rules."

"Yeah, but," Frypan began, "he saved Alby's life."

"Did he?" Emma raised an eyebrow at Gally. He refused to meet her gaze. "For the last three years, we have coexisted with these things. Now you've killed one." He pointed at Thomas. "We have no idea what that means."