10) TALK TO RHAENYS

(Cassandra Pov)

(Cassandra Pov)

FATHER, Nyra and I sat at dinner none of us really talking. I was not really hungry at this hour, I was looking down at my plate playing with my food. Nyra took a sip out of her drink while father look at us both.

"We haven't spoken much..." Nyra said breaking the silence. I lean on my chin.

"...since..." Nyra said as I sigh.

"A regret of mine" Father answer. Dinner is not the same at the table like it use to be. It is now fall of silence while we eat.

"We should be free to speak our minds to one another" Father said.

"You can say whatever you'd like. You are the King" I told Father the first time I spoke since I enter the room and sat down.

"I loved your mother...very much" Father said after a bit of silence.

"As did I" Nyra nodded.

"Me too" I said smiling up with a brave face on.

Then it when silence yet again. It feel weird to not talk. Father take a sip out of he's wine as Nyea pick up a piece of chicken to eat.

"Ser Harrold provided a fine field of tourney knights" Nyra said. I grin at the mention of the knights, I know Nyra has something towards Ser Criston.

"Oh?" Father asked.

"But in questioning then, I discovered that Ser Criston was the only man among them with true battle experience" Nyra explain while I chuckle.

"And I discovered that Ser Hawin is the only one that can protect me and he can even break bones in a second!" I explained as Nyra look at me giving me a devil lookinggrin which confuse me.

"They will make a fine knight of the Kingsguard" Father said smiling up at us.

Father then when back to eating as I sip of my drink as Nyra look at Father.

"Today at Small Council-" Nyra said getting cut off.

"Pay it no mind" Fsther told us.

"I...I thought I might have some insight but-" Nyra once again was cut off.

"Your both young" Father told us.

"You will both learn" Father said.

Nyra then lean back in her chair and stop eating as I look at her putting my fork down.

"Cassandra your not eating. Eat" Father told me as I look at father then back at Nyra. My stomach feels as it don't want to eat anything.

"I'm not hungry" I said then I got up and left the table. Leaving my sister and Father sat there alone.

I just when to my chamber and sat down on a chair while reading a High Valyrian book.

•••

THE next morning came along. Both Nyra and I stand together looking down at Father near the baloney wh we look down as Father and are young cousin Laena walked together.

"Father is up to something" I told Nyra as we keep looking.

"Indeed " Nyra agreed with me.

"Come on" Nyra said taking my hand while we start to walk.

As we turn the corner we saw out dear cousin Rhaenys sitting down. I always loved Rhaenys she and I have a closer relationship she is like an Auntie to me.

"It bothers you both doesn't it?" Rhaenys asked as we stop walking.

"Rhaenys" I said adNyra and I walk towards her while I sat next to Rhaenys.

"Our father is a king" Nyra answer.

"It is his duty to take a new wife and strengthen his line" Nyra replied.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you both" Rhaenys said.

"Laena is your daughter. Does it bother you?" Nyra asked as I look at Nyra as I gave Nyra a look.

"If course it does" Rhaenys said. I feel bad for her, she deserve so much better.

"But I understand the order of things" Rhaeys said.

"I'm not sure you do. I know Cassandra does" Rhaenys answer as I nodded.

"If toy mean to elicit some anger from me or Cass, you should know that you're falling,  Princess" Nyra said as I look at Nyrawith disbelief. Just because Rhaenys is the Queen Who Never Was does not mean she is doing this over anger. Nyra should be lucky to be getting the throne.

"Quite the opposite" Rhaenys answer.

"Whether it's to my daughter or to someone else's, your father will remarry sooner than later" Rhaenys told us.

I already knew that Dather would remarry I'm just not sure if I'm ready to see this happen.

"His new wife will produce new heirs, and chances are better than not that one of those will be male" Rhaenys said. Of course they will want a Prince to be born to be King. None of them think a Queen could rule. Someday I will prove them wrong.

"And when that boy comes of age and your father has passed, the men of the realm will expect him to be heir, not you or Cassandra" Rhaenys told us as I look down at my lap.

"Because that is the order of things" Rhaenys said.

"When I'm Queen I will create a new order" Nyra said as I look at Nyra with lips parted not knowing what to say.

"How I wish that could be, Rhaenyra" Rhaenys said with a scoff while I chuckle.

"But the men of the realm already had their opportunity to appoint a ruling queen at the Great Council and they denied it" Rhaenys said.

"They denied you, Princess Rhaenys" I told her with my head high up.

"The Queen Who Never Was" Nyra quoted.

"But they bent the knee to us and called us heir to the throne" Nyra explain.

"Do you remind your fathers men of that as you carry their cups?" Rhaenys asked looking at both Nyra and I.

Rhaenys then stand up as did I as I moved to the side.

"Here is the hard truth, which no one else has the heart to tell you both" Rhaenys said.

"Men would sooner put the realm to the torch..." Rhaenys said looking out from the balcony.

"Then see a women ascend the Iron Throne" Rhaenys said. I look down feeling bad for Rhaenys she should of been Queen.

"And your father is no fool" Rhaenys said looking at us both.

Rhaenys then walked away leaving both Nyra and I standing there.

One thing I know is men will always want to come first before us women. They want to rule for power and will always get in the way.

But I will not let a men take what is mine. I will be queen someday a snake every men they think I don't deserve the throne.

Suffer.