28. Red Dress

Depuis le début

But I would make sure Nic would get his freedom the second the stupid annual celebration was over.

"Why is it on Wednesday?" I asked. "The ball or whatever."

"I don't know," he sighed and came to sit next to me.

He rested his chin on my shoulder and wrapped his arms around my waist. "What if I broke my leg before Wednesday?"

"You're not breaking your leg because of that moron," I said sternly. "You can just not go."

"I don't want to go, but if it gets him off my back..." he muttered, sounding tired.

I brushed my hand through his hair. It had gotten a bit longer now. Very nice to hold on to in bed...

I snapped out of my thoughts.

"I'll make sure he leaves you alone after Wednesday," I promised.

"Thanks... I wish I could take you with me..."

His father had banned me from the celebration, obviously. I did not mind at all, but I wished I could've been there for Nic. I feared his dad would use that opportunity to do something. I wasn't even sure what, but my options varied from public humiliation to kidnapping his own son. What if that shitshow tried to lock Nic in his basement or something to prevent him from leaving?

Okay, maybe not.

At least Nic's mom and brother would be there, keeping an eye on him for me. Daniel had already promised to make sure Nic didn't have to spend much time with his father at the party, and Jessica would be there too. It soothed me a little.

"So it's tomorrow? The tailor?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Right after school."

"Okay. In that case, I might ask my aunt if she needs me at the shop or something. That's pretty close to the tailor, right?"

"Yup."

"So if anything goes wrong, you can come straight to me," I said with a smile.

He glanced at me and smiled as well. He watched me for a moment, then kissed my cheek and hugged me tighter. "It does make me feel better knowing you'll be close by."

"I'll come and kick his ass if needed to," I promised.

"I fear you may need to..." he muttered.

I chuckled lightly and leaned my head against his. "Then I'll be there."

*****

My aunt didn't have work for me for the next day, but Jessica and Daniel offered to keep me company while they were shopping after school.

"There's a shopping street near the tailor," Jessica told me during lunch. "If you don't mind hanging out with us?"

I shrugged. "It's fine," I said, not exactly thrilled, but why not? These two were all right, and me hanging out with them made Nic happy.

And I'd be close by in case Nic needed it.

I had a bad feeling about him spending time with his father. I had no idea if his old man could get physical, but he definitely knew how to destroy Nic mentally. What if that bastard drove Nic into a panic? I couldn't stand the idea. Nic, panicking, at the mercy of his father with no support or friendly faces...

I damn near told him not to go. I just knew I'd spend the weekend trying to keep him calm, force him to eat and watch him as he struggled to sleep. He was doing so, so much better now. And that man would ruin it. I told Nic I was concerned, but he promised he'd be fine. He did seem happy that I was worried, though.