𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. losing the last piece.

Start from the beginning

"Hey, are you okay?"

Frankie shot her head up at the question, her hands becoming less interesting as she gazed up at her best friend, "Yeah, I'm good,"

"Are you sure?"

The question made her pause for a moment, as she tried to figure out what the best answer could be. She didn't need Gabi to worry about her, she was tired of people worrying about her. Even if she was going through internal battles, she just didn't want people to know. "I'm just...do you ever miss the way things used to be?"

"When we were with your dad?" Gabi questioned, pure confusion lacing her features. The thought of that made panic flood Frankie's veins.

"God no," Frankie instantly shook her head, sighing as she accumulated her thoughts into one concise sentence. "I mean before the world...you know."

"Went to shit?"

"Yeah basically,"

Gabi shrugged, tucking her hands into her jeans as they walked along with the others. "No, not really,"

"Why?" Frankie asked, her question slightly desperate as she looked at her friend, "Things used to be so simple,"

"Not for me," Gabi stated quietly, her words getting soft due to her remembering who she once was. "You know that,"

Frankie regretted her choice of words at that moment, knowing what Gabi had gone through all until they had left her father's compound together. "I'm sorry, I totally spaced, I was just so caught up in myself, and forgot to think about what happened to you,"

The girl next to her shrugged at her apology, linking her arm with Frankie's, "I know things are hard now, but it doesn't help to reminisce on what could've been because it's never going to be like that again. Life can never fully go back to what we lost."

The redhead nodded, agreeing with her friend, but the thoughts never fully faded, "Sometimes it's easy to just wish the only thing I have to worry about is what college I'm applying to and if the boy I liked would like me back,"

"Did he though?" Gabi questioned, a smile poking at the edge of her lips.

Frankie snorted at the question, "No, he thought I was annoying as hell,"

"He sounds like a dud," The girl shrugged, slightly elbowing Frankie's side, "If you were my type, I'd be all over you,"

"Please, you should've seen my horrid bob I had when I was sixteen," Frankie stated with a grimace, shivering from the image of her when she was in high school, "I was lucky if a guy even looked my way,"

"Well look at you now, it's his loss honestly," Gabi said with a confidence that made Frankie smile, "Imagine not wanting a hot ass post-apocalyptic girl, that would honestly be embarrassing,"

"Shut up," Frankie snorted, rolling her eyes with faux annoyance.

Gabi smiled, letting out a small laugh, "I'm serious, we just need to find you a hot man,"

"I'll keep my eyes open,"

"Come on, what about..." Gabi trailed off as her eyes fell on Charlie who was staring straight ahead with a strong glare set on his features.

"Please, he barely tolerates me, like that would never happen," Frankie's words were hushed as she leaned toward Gabi, making sure the boy wouldn't hear them.

"You never know," The girl next to Frankie, smiled teasingly as she bumped her shoulder with hers.

"If you're so interested, shoot your shot,"