"That's it," Thomas declared, eyes on the wall ahead. "That's our way in."

There were hundreds gathered around, all wanting to enter. How were they going to find a way in that others couldn't? It didn't make sense. Emma believed in Thomas, but this wasn't the way.

As they pushed through the crowd, the group began to separate. Emma struggled to see where her friends had gone. "Oh my god," she muttered, looking around. "Newt? Fr-"

"Here," Newt reached out, grabbing her hand. "I'm here." Frypan was right behind him. The girl couldn't help but sigh in relief.

Suddenly, Brenda appeared ahead. She waved her hands in the air, making sure they saw her. "What the hell did we get ourselves into?" Frypan didn't expect an answer to his question.

"Just keep going!" There was nothing else they could do. Emma had no idea where Thomas and Jorge went. They seemed to have vanished in the sea of people.

But they were focused on the same thing, the wall that separated them from Minho.

"Em," Newt spoke over the yelling, ducking his head. The girl glanced at him. Rather than responding, he jerked his head behind them.

Glancing over her shoulder, Emma's eyes searched for what Newt was gesturing to. It didn't take long. Behind her was one of the men in masks that had been on the back of the cars. He was holding a gun. She couldn't see behind the mask but knew his focus was on them.

And he was approaching quickly.

"Shit." They weren't WICKED soldiers, but that didn't mean anything. Emma had realized rather quickly after leaving the Glade that WICKED wasn't the only enemy out there. There were people like Marcus. Cranks.

Teresa.

She was WICKED, that much was true, but she was also so much more.

"They're on both sides." Newt tossed an arm over her shoulders in order to casually move Emma in front of him.

He was protecting her, like he always did. "Newt-"

"Keep going."

They needed to warn the others. Emma reached behind her, seizing his hand. If she couldn't see him, she needed to feel him. Make sure he was there. That he was safe.

People around were still chanting to be let inside. Still waving signs and throwing objects. Emma managed to spot Thomas and Jorge with Frypan and Brenda at the front of the crowd by the barriers. "I see them." She let go of Newt as he pushed his way beside her.

"Guy!" Newt grabbed Jorge and Thomas, gaining their attention. "We have to go! Look." There were more men than Emma was expecting, and it was clear these unknown people were focused on them. Jorge pulled out his gun, ready to fight his way out of the situation.

Emma wasn't sure what was about to happen, but something in her gut twisted.

Suddenly, before guns were fired, there was a loud sound. Like heavy metal creaking. It echoed, bouncing off walls. The yelling stopped. Everyone went silent.

It was eerie and made Emma's heart race. The feeling in her gut intensified.

Objects on top of the walls began to rise, a blinking red light appearing. Emma squinted, not sure what was happening. The people around them started screaming, fleeing in all directions. "Thomas, let's go," Frypan shouted. Thomas remained still.

"We need to get out of here-"

Before any of them could move, an explosion occurred in front of them. "Go! Go!" Emma began running with the others away from the walls.