DETERMINATION - Aki Hayakawa/Female Reader

———

The sky had a solemn look to it. Visibly ghost-gray clouds scattered the mint-blue sky viciously, aimlessly. On the inside, the beyond heavens were sedately containing the storm within itself, until it was time to allow the chaos to scatter. However, as of now, it stayed determined, and it showed greatly. The poetic sky accompanied three devil hunters on their journey to a familiar, local hospital.

The hospital was grand and rugged, cheap and timid. A place suited for most devil hunters to reside in when the career took a strike back at them like a hungry dog and a brash owner.

With a pip in her step, Himeno found herself leading the way like a pact leader through the hospital's disturbingly white walls. She made conversation, and smiled mischievously, with her head high.

Most people when entering this hospital designed for devil-hunters' unique injuries weren't as chipper as Himeno. Screams of sorrow and rigid cries tended to often fill these hallways. Himeno showed no worry for the one she was visiting with little her crew today.

Aki had a stoic expression as he followed beside his partner, almost unreadable. He had a bit on his mind and didn't contribute to the conversation Himeno led, too concerned for your newfound injuries that he was yet to see.

You and Himeno had known each other long before he became her buddy. Himeno was the one who introduced the two of you a few years back. Aki was intimidated by your beauty and resistance the first day he met you.

Back then he was only focused on his goal to hunt and punish the Gun Devil for their cruel actions and existence. Not to say he wasn't as determined as he was now, but it was his only priority when becoming a devil hunter. Himeno opened his eyes to friendship, and meeting you opened his eyes to childish work-romance inside of Tokyo Special Division 4.

Himeno stretched her arms over her head. "I heard she found a gun fragment this fight," Himeno stated offhandedly, mostly talking to the new recruit Hirokazu who offered to accompany Aki and her on their visit.

She brought her arms down and held her chin up comfortably as they walked through the hospital's spacious walls. "'Tis her third one," she added. She side-eyes Aki as she says this, searching for a reaction that he didn't give.

Hirokazu responds instead, his dark eyes expanding to the size of plates. "Three?! And she doesn't have a partner?" Amazement embodied his voice. Hirokazu has never met you but has heard of you from one mouth to another. You're quite impressive, he would say. This is why he decided to accompany his colleagues to the hospital you're stationed at, in the hopes of meeting you.

Hands in her pocket, her fingers playfully flicking the pack of cigarettes residing inside, Himeno smiles cheekily. "Yep. She doesn't work in buddy teams well," she noted.

You and Himeno have been buddies since you and she were noobies in the field. You both were trained together. Additionally, you're one of few acquaintances that have managed to survive this long. Himeno is amazed you specifically haven't died yet.

When you both first met during training you were an obvious prodigy in the field. Your only weaknesses were that you were reckless in battle and not cooperative with partners, not even people you enjoy accompanying. It's as if when fighting you change into an entirely different person.

Aki added a snarky comment to Himeno's statement. "While she's the one who needs a partner the most," he uttered. He hasn't known you as long as Himeno, but he's known you long enough to call your bullshit, bullshit.

Himeno shrugged, a lazy grin still present on her face. "She gets the job done, eh? But does she have amazing luck huh? Coming so close to death so many times."