SURE THING - Aki Hayakawa/Female Reader

———

Midnight chatter happened mindlessly below. Open and shut lights from various effects flickered through your apartment's grand window opening. A light fog encased the windows in a hug, a warning of the chill that couldn't be raised to rest outside.

Nowadays, you often find yourself with a pip in your step, a smile on your face, and a welcoming aurora. Despite the harsh winter breezes bringing haunting thoughts to many others, you were happy and struggle-free.

Well, somewhat.

Though the overwhelming weather pushes men to their limit, it only tends to soothe your love-drunk mind. You have an intense affinity for the cold. You cherished the snow and the way the ice-cold winds encircle you. You have pleasant winter memories.

For instance, during the season you moved to Tokyo and met the person you now refer to as your fiancé, a recent winter event, Aki's proposal.

The proposal was sudden and abrupt. Weeks ago when Aki abruptly proposed to you, he sang the loveliest things to your ears. Swearing that he'll love you like a brother, with strong love and a bond that can't be easily broken.

He vowed that he'd treat you like a childhood friend and forever respect you like a true lover, for as long as he lived. His words brought tears of joy down your broad eyes. You never expected Aki to be one for marriage, you had accepted that long ago in your relationship.

He suddenly proposed to you, as if something had compelled him to change his mind about marriage and resolve to spend the rest of his life with you. You hadn't given the issue much attention at the time because you were so captivated by the sensation of his lips against yours as you said yes.

Additionally, you didn't want to give his motivation for proposing too much thought. For once, all you wanted to do was enjoy the sensation of his affection. His dialog of promise was beautifully sincere. He didn't need to say 'I love you.' His words of devotion were more than enough. He made you feel his flourished love.

You weren't naïve. After the death of Himeno, he was noticeably distant for weeks and he had a shift in character. You didn't push him to talk. You only allowed things in your relationship to go to a halt and become just...bleak.

Right after his injuries succeeded the event was healed, and he soon went back to normal once he started working again. Aki briefly explained how he was signing a new contract with another devil around this time. He never told you what devils he was signed to, he didn't want you to know, and you didn't want to know either. It was an unspoken, neutral understanding between you two.

You only desire to be with Aki. You decided to love him for as long as you can because you realized he wouldn't change his profession or perspective on life; not even for you. Aki also wished to remain by your side and to love you. It was selfish but he wanted to live a nice life separate from his work. And that simple, domestic life was with you. For the time being, he was okay with it. He was okay with it being temporary. You blurred his world in a rosy tint.

Clatter came from the kitchen, and Aki's ears picked up. He aimlessly listened to you speak whatever was on your mind as you cooked. Today was a rare night when he was free from Denji and Power to be with you.

He wouldn't call this a date night, mostly because he expected better from himself regarding dates. Hell, he didn't remember the last time he had treated you to anything.

You stirred the pot, and the gas stove you stood in front of was lightly lit. "Come on Aki, you have to put more effort into it if ya wanna win!"

Your modest apartment was clouded with light smoke from the oven below and Aki's hanging cigarette.

Almost a week ago while Aki and you were on a simple walk around town, your eyes picked up a poster. A sword fighting event. You eagerly signed him up despite his protest. You nudged him. Telling him a change in taste would be fun. And with that, he agreed to participate.

Aki's elbows rested on your kitchen counter. He put out his cigarettes in the makeshift cigarette tray you gave him. He eyed the pot you stopped stirring. "If you're the prize then I don't know what I can do to deserve that," he muttered tiredly, eyes stuck on watching your form.

Your eyes grow warm, and you both make eye contact. You tilt your head, smiling. "Bias don't you think? I'll always choose you, even if you're the loser and don't deserve me." Aki smiled at your comment before chuckling lightly and turning his gaze away from yours.

You placed the stirring spoon away and turned off the head as you checked on the rice. "Are you able to stay for dinner?" You begin stating your real motive. The motive that often drove your fiancé away, ironically. "I wanted to start planning for the wedding together..."

Aki, as expected by now, went silent. Since the day he proposed those many weeks ago you both hadn't planned for the wedding. Your parents were starting to doubt the marriage. It didn't help that they never really liked Aki due to his risky occupation and forbearing demeanor.

He stood from the stool. "I can't," he said, hand in slacks pockets. You try to hide your disappointment by turning away, but your hanging rubdowns show your feelings fully. "But, I'll be back tomorrow," he added, moving to stand beside you.

You try nodding, to hide your letdown, but instead, you end up staring down at the black rice cooker flashing green, and not looking at your so-called fiancé. The city's chatter from below drowned out your thoughts, and you found yourself still of movement and a warm face.

Aki's hand caressed your cheek lightly, warming them. He sighed, wanting to look down at the tile floor but instead kept his gaze straight on you. "Hey, look at me," he said. Slowly, you look up into his deep green eyes, he rubs your cheek as an award for your compliance. He began to promise sincere words. "I promise you that I'll be here tomorrow night. And we'll plan the wedding then. I'll even cook dinner for you."

You stared, critical. To be honest, you didn't want to argue, but you still felt upset. You just wanted this conversation to be over so that you can drown in your anger. "Fine," you state, your voice cold and dry.

He sighed again, removing his hand, and noticing your mood. "I don't want to leave things like this," he states truthfully. He rubs your cheek with his palm. "Award me with a smile," he demanded You pout, turning away from his admittingly charming gaze.

You speak through your filled cheeks. "You don't deserve an award," you muttered. Resisting the urge to cross your arms like a child. He pinched your cheek.

"You said it yourself. Even if I'm the loser you'll reward me?" Your stomach flutters inside for some reason. Damn it, he got you there.

"Fine...you got me there," you admit defeat. You squeeze his shoulder, staring sternly into his eyes. "Seriously though, you promise you'll come back tomorrow?"

He watches as you make three to-go plates. He nods. "I promise you," he says, his voice sincere as it has always been.

You stop your actions and smile. "Then I'll believe you, Aki." You shouldn't, but you do.

He nodded to himself. He couldn't bring himself to tell you that he'll die in two years, he just couldn't. You didn't deserve to be saddened by how little time you both have left.

Because even when the sky comes falling, even when the sun doesn't shine on him, he will always have faith in you and him.

So as long as your hand is entwined with his, he'll always cherish the sweet memories of you loving him. Even when it's his time to die, he can live simply with you until then.

'Cause the love he has for you is the surest thing in his decaying life.

———

COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED