2

Marinette chugged the rest of her coffee, the moment she spotted Carrie by her desk. She threw the cup away and sighed.

Carrie smiled, "There you are. Here I was thinking that you left early. You're late coming back for lunch."

"Actually, I'm five minutes early." Marinette pointed out.

Carrie glared at her, "Copy all these papers and make sure there are at least twenty-five pages each. You should be able to do that in three hours, right?" and walked away.

Marinette looked at the stack of papers. There were at least fifty pages. Sure, she could do that and get it done in three hours, but she also had to finish a design by the time she clocked out of work today. Her boss was counting on her. They needed to start on the samples next week, if it was approved. Mairnette sat down at her desk and looked at the designs. The color green caught her eye. It reminded her of the stranger from the café.

'That place is survival of the fittest.'

Marinette looked between her design and the stack of paper. She smiled and turned towards the deisgn.

'Sorry, Carrie.'

Carrie smiled as she approached the new girl's desk. She expected to find her buried and scrambling to get the papers in order. Instead, she found her sitting at her desk and humming.

"Where are my papers?" she cried, "Did you leave them at the machine again?"

"They are right here." Marinette smiled, "Right where you left them."

"I told you to do them!" Carrie screamed, "There's a meeting in fifteen minutes."

"Then, you should get to it." Mari replied, "I can't imagine not having the correct information for a meeting. That sounds really important."

"You little bitch!" Carrie shouted, slapping Marinette.

Marinette just smiled at the vindictive lady, "Sorry, but I have my own job to do. I don't have time to do your job. What have you been doing for the last three hours? So much wasted time. I mean, is your job that hard that your can't copy papers? You've been at this for five years. No offense, but I don't want to be you in five years. Better get started, you have an important meeting in.....ten minutes."

Carrie snarled, grabbed the papers, and hurried away.

To say that Carrie was upset was an understatement. Her boss had yelled at her when the meeting was over. She had managed to print the first eight pages, but she was left entering and exiting the meeting to grab the other hot off the press. To top it off, she watched her boss praise Marinette.

"I knew I could count on you, Marinette." their boss spoke, "You had some difficulty this past month, but you have improved."

Marinette simply smiled, "Thank you for your kind words. I just....had to really focus on my work and not worry about other things."

Carried stomped out of Wayne Enterprise after that. All weekend she planned. She was going to leave her work with Mairnette and leave work as if she was sick, saying Marinette volunteered to do her work. If that didn't work, it wouldn't be her fault if her coffee accidentally spilled all over Marinette's desk. If the new girl was a better employee, her desk would be clean. Maybe it would help her with her time management skills. She was going to make Marinette miserable next week, as payback for making her look stupid in front of her boss.