Chapter 26 - What Am I?

If I thought my legs were killing me traveling to The Spring, I'm practically dead now. Panting for air, behind everyone, except Trent, who decided to be right beside me, no matter what.

I wipe sweat off my forehead and swear under my breath, knowing my hair is soaked in the salt my body produced. I touch my hair, slick with bodily fluids, and matted against my forehead. Something I am not used to.

Trent chuckles and I look up at him through my heavy lids. "Shut up."

He stops in his tracks and raises one, peculiar eyebrow. "You really want to start now?"

I furrow my brows, in a daze, but confused altogether. "Start what?"

"Guys, calm down, it's the heat getting to you." Faith says, exasperated.

"Damn right." I mumble, the sun shining heavily on us, bearing its heat down against our straining bodies.

"Will you shut up and move on? Nobody wants to die, because you need to get your two sense in." Jim snaps, glaring right at me.

I send him a powerful stare of my own, about to say something, but Trent touches my arm softly, trying to sooth me. I turn my head slowly, and to my own shock, I relax against his gentle touch, and we all continue forward.

What lies before us, after what seems like another ten million years, is a land so blistering hot, with hills and small animals scurrying along the ground with small, light feet.

But my heart lifts the minute I spot a small shed ahead. Shabby, but still something with shade.

Everyone notices, and we take huge strides to the shady domain, forgetting our protesting muscles.

When we reach it, Jim kicks the door in with ease, helping himself to the small house without trying to see if anyone is inside. Though, I can sense no one inside. It's completely empty, except for the small rats' quick breathing that I hear underneath the wooden floors. I will have to store that small information for later. I might need it for a rainy day.

First thing I see is a bathroom. I almost shout with glee, but seeing Faith, she will need it first before anybody. We let her in first, and hang out on the small couch, for her to be done showering. Of course, I sprawl over the cool wooden floor, trying the labor my breathing.

"So...what are we doing now?" Joana breaks the silence, and I shut my eyes.

I hear someone sit beside me, and recognize the smell.

Trent. The beautiful smell of pine and winter. A homey smell.

I feel him softly stroke my hair, and I almost crack a smile.

He's treating me like a girl.

"Well, we'll settle here for now. Then, we'll plan everything out tomorrow. I want all of you to stay here though. Krystle and I will be going out somewhere." Jim's voice hardens when he says my name. "Only he can help."

I blow out a breath, and lean into Trent's hand. It's the first time I've actually had any comfort, while being hated.

I feel someone breathe softly against my ear. "Don't listen to him, Krystle."

I relax slightly. Feelings swarm inside my stomach, and I begin to feel sick. It's not butterflies. But more like venomous snakes in my stomach.

I quickly realize it's not a feeling that's negative. But a bittersweet feeling, that quickly has my chest clenching with an overwhelming emotion.

Someone actually tried comforting me....to be here...even after he just saw I'm no normal person. That I steal souls like his. That I can kill any second without remorse.

I swallow back tightly, feeling my throat thicken. This is not the time for spilling emotions. I wish I can tell him how good he makes me feel. That everything and anything seems very possible. As long as he's just here, but...I feel too awkward, so I keep it to myself.

After Faith comes out, in the same clothes, but this time cleaner than before, she grimaces. "No hot water, and no shampoo. But it's better than feeling grimy."

Everyone willingly let's me go next, so I do.

Cautiously, I take small steps into the bathroom, being sure to lock it in case Jim has any plans in that mind of his.

Turning on the shower, I strip and look at myself through the mirror reflecting my thin frame.

I'm lean and pale. Having muscle, but not exactly muscled enough to look masculine. I trail a hand down my body, feeling my quivering stomach, with thin abs. I'm tall, long, slim neck, structured face.

I Look at my contacts and Look at the strange mixture of colors; gray, blue, green, and brown. All swirling together, making them a dark forest color. Like the Christmas trees. A very dark green. Then I slowly take them out and close my eyes. Not wanting to see the true color.

Finally, I cross my arms and go straight into the shower, halting my breath as the freezing liquid pelts my skin with its icy fury, making me shake, but wash up enough. I use a faded yellow rag to swiftly scrub off the dried sweat.

Questions rance through my mind as I do so:

Who am I?

What am I?

What's Jim going to do?

Will everyone make it out safely?

Will we come out alive and whole?

......then one solid question sticks, more cold than the water.

Will Trent still love me through it all?