A hellish heat permeated the surroundings and an unreal silence enveloped it in a tight grip, giving the impression that it was uninhabited. No sign of human activity except their own, not a single sound could be heard, not even the cry of some animal or the rustle of leaves.

« My goodness Captain, we are finally here! » exclaimed Nogitsu, one of Leon's crew members and a renowned cook.

A humanoid, bipedal creature with the features of a red fox and of rather considerable stature, especially compared to that of most of the group. A mighty crimson tail seemed to spill out of elegant, opulent purple pants, and on his head thick fur of the same hue took on a hair-like form, which he wore gathered and tied by a thick golden pigtail. Sharp teeth gleamed irradiated by the sunlight, as did ravenous, reddish eyes capable of putting even the most reckless rogue in awe. He belonged to a warrior race feared and respected throughout the Grand Line, the "Mink."

«So it would seem» replied the man, suddenly assuming a serious expression, «Nevertheless, we should not sing victory too soon, I have a feeling that from here on the situation may only get worse»

« What should we be afraid of? » the helmsman intervened. A man-fish of the basking shark type known as "BlueJones" gaped wide and toothy jaws as if awakening from a long sleep. He, too, wore sumptuous clothes like the crew to which he belonged, with the only exception of peculiar rips present in several places in his clothing, probably due to the skirmishes in which he himself had participated « We have defeated the "Purpure Demon" and his dastardly crew of freebooters. If anyone dares to question our strength, let him come forward »

« Then we'd better get a move on. Start by going first you, fatty»

Speaking this time was Leon's first officer, an imposing man, far more than the mink or anyone else who had ever sailed with the intrepid explorer, rather muscular and with a thick crimson beard, named Gwyar Zelgius. He, during his years of service aboard the Santiago, had earned the nickname "The Bloody One," something that matched perfectly with his fierce and warlike disposition, although among those who had tasted his proverbial fury he was known simply as "Redbeard."

The aquatic creature squared his companion defiantly, slowly approaching and parrying himself in front of the energetic man who towered over him by at least thirteen good spans, snarling as if he had succumbed for a moment to his wild, animalistic side. Of course, there hadn't exactly been good blood between those two since time immemorial, that much was now known by all.

There were even those who alluded to old rusts that had never died down, like embers still smoldering and ready to ignite at the slightest spark. Or those who believed that the big guy was an intolerable racist toward those who did not in any way belong to the race of human beings.

As always, the truth could also have been in the middle. What was practically certain was how blindly Leon trusted him, so much so that he left him in charge of the group in the unfortunate event that he himself found death. No small burden for a guy like him.

« So what are your orders, captain? » the group navigator asked, nipping in the bud the mini-litigation that was soon to ensue between the two. A girl with short, wavy peach-colored hair continued to check the Log Pose placed on her arm.

Her name was Ana Jacques, but to most she was simply known as "Lily of the Sea." Like her own companions, she sported elegant and refined clothes. A white shirt embellished with gold gems wrapped her slender physique, two-tone pants in shades of black and white tucked into rather worn charcoal-colored boots, and a thin, elaborate jacket with gold inlays completed the look.