Sacrifices will not be in vain.

The story has not yet ended.

To rewrite the ending, one must know the past.

Unknown Era... Beyond Recorded History...

Jack groaned as his eyes fluttered open, wondering when he'd fallen asleep.

"What happened?" he winced at the intense sunlight that assaulted his eyes. The sound of laughter and children playing caused him to sit up, blinking at the strange atmosphere he was subjected to.

He seemed to be in a... Village? Town? City? Jack couldn't quite decide a large stone monument was nearby, built like an ancient ziggurat pyramid. That alone was strange since it didn't seem to be thousands of years old. Then, there were houses of simplistic architecture dotting the landscape in no precise order but in a number that made it hard to decide the community's population at a glance.

Another shriek of laughter drew Jack's attention to a group of children playing a game (Jack assumed it was a variety of tag). They were all dressed in homespun, dyed in a myriad of colors without patterns. This only confused Jack more because nothing about what he saw could actually hint at where he was in the world.

A flash of white among the rainbow of clothing caught his eye, and his breath hitched.

 A young girl, barely a teenager, was weaving among the children, laughing as she joined in their game. Jack recognized her immediately. The unmistakable auburn hair, the cloudy grey eyes full of life and insatiable curiosity, and the melodic voice that could tell stories for hours, it could only be one person.

"Katherine?"

No response. Not unusual in his case, but Jack didn't think about it as he rushed forward, trying to grab Katherine's wrist.

But passed through.

A chill passed through Jack's body as he failed to make contact with his soulmate. For a moment, his world shattered as he stared at his hand, unable to fathom what had happened. 

Wait, why is Katherine so small?

The thought made him step back, observing the group carefully. 

This whole situation seemed strange... almost unreal... something from the subconscious... like...

Jack gasped, realizing, "A memory."

He tested his theory by touching a nearby tree. His hand passed through. It was suddenly clear that somehow he was inside a memory with no way of interacting with it. Was this some test from the Man in the Moon? Maybe some lesson or deep purpose Jack couldn't fathom?

He didn't know.

"Kāthrīṉ! Tell us a story!"

The sudden request caused the other children to cheer and add their own demands. It gave Jack a strange feeling to see Katherine, or Kāthrīṉ as she was being called, brighten up and sit under the tree.

"Which one should it be?"

There was a clamor of demands, but it seemed there was a popular favorite.

Katherine placed her fingers to her lips and let out a shrill whistle. 

A loud honk was heard before a snow-white flew in and landed in the girl's lap. Jack gaped at it, instinctively knowing who this must be.

Kāthrīṉ silenced the children's shouts with an authoritative tone as she began her narrative, "Today I shall tell the story of how Kailash, the mighty sacred beast, defeated his enemy," she gave the group a serious look, "The terrible cat monster from up the hill!"

Jack sank down on his heels despite scoffing a little at the uncreative title. For the next hour, both he and the children listened with rapt attention as Kāthrīṉ wove stories and tales of rhymes and poetry of the everyday feats of the goose in her lap. It was simple but mesmerizing, the skills of a true storyteller with vivid memory and imagination. 

It was Katherine, unfettered by care and untainted by the dark shadows of her future, bursting with life at a time when all the stories were yet unwritten. She held them all, she made them all, she shared them all. It was enough to make Jack cry seeing her joyful expression.

 It all ended too soon when the sun began to set, and the children's parents arrived to bring them all home. 

Jack watched as Kāthrīṉ remained the last to leave, holding Kailash in her arms as she said goodbye. It didn't escape him that the villagers showed great deference to the pair. 

Finally, Kāthrīṉ walked toward the distant ziggurat. 

Alone.

"Kāthrīṉ, is that you?" an old man dressed in white robes spoke up as Kāthrīṉ entered the living space

Kāthrīṉ placed a hand on her chest and bowed, "Yes, High Priest."

The high priest placed some herbs on the stone brazier and frowned, "The sibyl is tasked with guarding the sacred knowledge of our people and as the protector of our sacred beast, Kāthrīṉ," it wasn't quite a rebuke, but a reminder that was both gentle and firm, "You are a blessed child, but you must remember to be careful with your stories."

Kāthrīṉ bowed her head, blushing slightly in embarrassment, "I'm sorry. I may have exaggerated a bit about my stories of Kailash."

This earned her a chuckle from the high priest, "Kailash is an exceptional bird, but even if the moon chose him to help us foresee danger, I'm not sure if even he could touch the stars."

Jack chuckled at that, unheard by the two. 

However, the goose in Kāthrīṉ's arms turned its head and stared straight at him.

Jack stared into the bird's intelligent eyes before realizing it could see him.

"Wait, what?"

Katherine's original name was based on the Tamil word கேத்தரின் or Kāthrīṉ