Chapter 7

There were no red flags on the walk home to my apartment. Surprisingly, he did something that I thought was romantic. It was almost a redeeming quality in him.

Wilder had his arm around me as we walked down the sidewalk. My heels clicked on the concrete. Luckily, it was a short walk from his apartment to mine. The wetness in my underwear and on my thighs made me uncomfortable and desperate for a shower.

Neither of us said a word.

Did Wilder feel bad for forcing me to give him a blowjob? Was he capable of feeling guilty for acting on his desire and pleasure? Did he only see me as a body? When he saw me in the bar, was his only intention to conquer my body? Red flag number seventeen bothered me the most, especially after the sex was done. I was impressed that I managed not to cry in front of him. How would I explain myself?

There was a flower stand in the distance. The old gentleman was sitting on a lawn chair. A light hung from the cart and illuminated it in the night air. As we came closer, the wonderful aroma of fresh-cut flowers filled my nose.

I stumbled in my heels when Wilder stopped. He pulled his arm off my waist and reached into his pocket to grab his wallet. He handed the man cash and picked up a bouquet of red roses. I furrowed my brow as he handed them to me.

"What are these?" I asked.

"Red roses," he said. "Take them."

I looked down at the gorgeous bouquet. I do not think my exes have ever bought me flowers. What was his motive?

"What are they for?" I asked.

"They are for you," he said. "It's my thank you for a wonderful night."

A goofy smile spread across my lips as the heat spread throughout my cheeks. He had a good time with me? I was out of his league, but he enjoyed his night.

"Thank you," I said, taking the flowers from his hands.

Wilder leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine. It was a light and tender kiss. The complete opposite of how he treated me in the bedroom.

"I hope you will see me again," he said.

"You want to go out again?" I asked.

"Of course I do," he said. "You are amazing, Harley."

He gave me another quick kiss before he grabbed my hand. We walked together down the sidewalk. My chest no longer ached, and my mind was not regretful.

Did flowers win me over? Obviously.

Did I hate myself because of it? I did. Later, I felt like a fool.

I took another whiff of the flowers as we approached my building. I always loved the smell of roses. This night was finally coming to an end. This is not what I expected when I left for the Hallowe'en party a few hours ago. I never thought I would meet the walking nightmare that is Wilder Sharp.

"What are you doing tomorrow night?" Wilder asked.

"Not much," I said. "Just watching a movie with my cats."

"Of course, you have cats," he muttered. He sighed before he reached for my waist and pulled me into his chest. "Come over tomorrow night. I want to see you again."

I bit my lip as I looked into his crystal blue eyes.

Man, I could stare into his eyes for hours. I would not stop being amazed that an attractive man like him would choose to spend his time with me. Reflecting on this memory, I realize I did not notice how he had only invited me to his place and did not invite me on a date. He was clearly only looking for sex from me, but I was oblivious to it.

"Yes," I said. "I would love to come over."

Wilder smiled. He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me again. He was being so delicate with me. Did he know that he was messing with my mind?

"Give me your phone," he said. "I'll give you my number."

I pulled my phone out of my purse and handed it to Wilder. He was taller than me, so I could not see the screen. Slowly, he put his phone number in my phone and sent himself a text. He handed back the cell, and I looked at the text.

Wilder Sharp: Hey, hot stuff. See you at 8 tomorrow night.

"Thank you," I said. "I will see you tomorrow."

"I can't wait," he said.

Wilder kissed me one last time before walking away. I rushed into the building and hurried to my apartment. Kicking off my heels, I could not take my eyes off the screen. I noticed that he put a red heart emoji next to his name. What did that mean? He must have put it there for a reason.

I thought I was in heaven, but I was unaware of Wilder's future red flags. Would the rest of them be attractive? Red flag seventeen still made my skin crawl. Would it happen again?