Chapter 2

Those five initial red flags were only the start. After leaving the bar, Wilder showed me four more. A total of nine warning signs on why this man was bad news was not enough to keep me away from him. Why did I always do this to myself?

My heart pounded when he slipped his arm around my waist. The alcohol, especially that tequila shot, caused my head to spin. Without thinking, I put my hand on his chest to balance myself, so I would not fall because of my heels. This caused Wilder to tighten his hold. He dragged me down the sidewalk, and I struggled to keep up with his wide strides. The humid Florida air caused sweat to build on my temple.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

Wilder looked down at me. That smirk never seemed to leave his lips.

"A local place I know," he said. "Best kept secret in the city."

Why did I leave with this stranger? That was how girls get murdered. I should have at least told Cammie I was leaving with Wilder. I let go of him and fished through my purse for my phone.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Cammie is going to be wondering where I am," I said.

Before I could type text, Wilder grabbed my hips. He turned and spun us around. Slamming my back against the brick wall of the closed store, he caused me to drop my phone nearly. I clutched my cell to my chest. My breath caught in my throat as I got another whiff of his strong cologne. He leaned against the wall with his arm above my head. His hand trailed under my chin, and his rough fingers grazed across my chin.

Never had a man been this bold with me before. Was he attracted to me, or was he like this with all girls?

"You're gorgeous," he said. "Do you know that?"

I giggled, not knowing how to handle this flustered feeling. Hopefully, it was dark enough outside that he could not see the blush on my cheeks. He pulled back the hood of my costume. Chewing on my lip, I broke eye contact with him as my heart fluttered. Why did he have such an effect on me?

"You don't need all of that makeup," he said.

Red flag number six: negative comments about your makeup.

"It's Hallowe'en," I said. "Everyone wears a lot of make-up."

"Don't wear so much next time," he said.

Next time? Was he thinking about our future together?

A goofy smile broke out across my lips. Wilder leaned in closer. I closed my eyes, and his warm breath fanned my face.

Was he going to kiss me?

My cell phone vibrated in my hands. At first, I thought it was just a text, but the continuous vibrations told me it was a phone call. I opened my eyes and lifted the phone off my chest. Cammie's name flashed across the screen. Wilder pulled the phone out of my hands and furrowed his brows. He sent the call to voicemail.

Red flag number seven: he was controlling who I could speak to.

I opened my mouth to protest, but he leaned down. Closing the distance between us, he pressed his lips against mine. His hand cupped my cheek, and his other grabbed my waist. Running his tongue along my bottom lip caused me to moan. His tongue caressing against mine made my thighs clench. I forgot that he had my phone. Placing my hands on his hard chest, I grabbed fistfuls of his shirt and pulled him close to me. The faint taste of cigarettes was on his breath.

I tried to pull back and break the kiss, but I was pinned against the wall. I rolled my head to the side. His lips broke off mine, and without hesitation, he trailed his lips down my throat. Wetness pooled between my thighs. I struggled to swallow past the lump that had formed in my throat. My heavy breathing made it difficult to speak.

"Wilder," I choked out.

He bit down on the soft flesh of my neck. I yelped. He licked the skin before sucking on the spot. I curled my fingers into his shirt and tried to push him back. He rolled his eyes.

"Don't be so stuck up," he said. "Just have a little fun."

Red flag number eight: pressures you into being physical.

"I want to have fun," I said. "So, show me this best-kept secret."

The smirk returned to his face. He pulled away from me. My phone was still in his hand. I held my palm out, but he hesitated before giving me back my cell. I looked at the screen to see two missed calls from Cammie. She must have called once while we were making out. Did he know? He must have because it would have been vibrating in his hand.

Wilder watched me as I typed out a text to Cammie.

Red flag number nine: he was reading my messages.

I shoved my phone back into my purse as fast as I could. Wilder grabbed my hand, and we continued to walk down the street.

"I hope you like burgers," Wilder said.

"I'm a vegetarian," I said.

Wilder muttered a curse and shook his head.

"Of course," he said so softly that I could barely hear. Clearing his throat, he spoke louder. "If I remember correctly, there's some tofu option. Or is it bean? Do they make quinoa into burgers? I don't know much about it."

I giggled. At least he was trying to redeem himself. His silent complaints about my food preferences were forgotten when he showed some effort. Most men on dating apps refuse to take me out for dinner once they discover I do not eat meat. I once forced myself to eat part of a sausage pizza because I feared upsetting my date. Later, I suffered all night as I had been a vegetarian since I was sixteen.

Wilder brought me to a restaurant I had passed many times but never thought to go in. Half the letters were missing on the sign, and the green paint was flaking off the building. I must have cringed because Wilder laughed at my expression.

"I swear it is much better than it looks," he said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Positive," he said. "The food is delicious."

"No rats in the kitchen?"

Wilder laughed and shook his head.

"Do you trust me?" he asked.

Every fiber of my being screamed for me to pull my hand out of his and march back to the Hallowe'en party. I looked into his sparkling blue eyes and lost all common sense.

Crap.

"I trust you," I said.