𝟬𝟬𝟲. as the masks come on, secrets come out

Start from the beginning

"Wait, hold on," Serena interjected, slight mirth shining over her eyes. "You have ladies now?"

Blair dismissed her question, and carried on with her explanation, "If he finds me before midnight, when the masks come off, he can claim his prize."

"And what might that be?" Ophelia smirked, already knowing the answer.

Blair shot them both a knowing look, raising her brows, and Ophelia chuckled, whilst Serena blanched, "Oh. Yeah, right, sorry."

Blair's shoulders fell slack, and Ophelia's hazel eyes darted between her two closest friends, sensing a small amount of tension between them, reminders of Serena and Nate's mistake flaring up in all of their minds, yet leaving it to hang around them, never to be forgotten. "I just figured that after everything that's happened, or hasn't happened, I should find some way to make it special," Blair admitted meekly, something deeply personal to her.

"Well, that's really romantic, B," Serena smiled, encouragingly.

"Yeah," Ophelia agreed, rubbing Blair's upper arm comfortingly. "I'm sure he'll love it."

Blair smiled pleasantly at Ophelia, before Serena cleared her throat, hesitant to speak, yet feeling the need to let out what she was struggling with, her inner thoughts forcing her to speak, "Look, um . . . if you don't want me to come tonight, I totally understand —"

"What?" Blair exclaimed in outrage, sitting up. "No, I want you to come. In fact, I was hoping the two of you would be some of my ladies."

Ophelia's brows flew high, and she rested against the wooden headboard, unexpected at Blair's request, "You do? What d'you want us to do?"

"Well," Blair began, "Ophelia, since you and Nate are close friends, I thought that you could be the one to distract him whilst I prepare it all. Just, y'know, dance and chat with him, all before the first clue is given. He won't suspect it, cause it's you. And, Serena, I want you to give him the last clue."

Ophelia shrugged, nodding, "I can do that."

Serena, on the other hand, appeared a little apprehensive at Blair's wishes for her to ultimately be the one to lead Nate to Blair. "Are you sure you want me to do that?" she asked, on edge.

"Tonight is all about starting over," Blair assured. "I trust you . . . and him."

A smile of relief settled across Serena's lips, and, teasingly, she agreed to Blair's requests, "Well, then I will be honoured to serve you, my queen." The three of them giggled amongst one another, before settling back, their laughter dying out.

"Aren't you bringing Dan with you?" Ophelia questioned, curiously.

Serena winced, a sigh escaping her. "Probably not. I know Dan. A masked ball? He would never want to go to some that pretentious, where he has to wear a mask, and a tux?"

"He likes you!" Blair chuckled, playfully rolling her eyes. "He would wear a mask and a tux and one of my mother's dresses if it meant that he could go out with you! Come on — are you worried he already has a date? I mean, he is Dan Humphrey."