Jack hung his head, unable to look her in the eye.

"He has to go," Aster spoke up.

Jack's head snapped up as he gaped at the buck, "What?"

Aster raised a fist, itching to throw a punch, "We should never have trusted you!" he yelled, "This wasn't just about eggs, Jack! Those eggs were manifestations of hope meant to bring life and protection to all those kids who need us!" the pooka stepped back, despair and hopelessness overtaking his demeanor, "Easter is new beginnings... New life... Easter is about hope," he shot a glare at Jack, rage burning deep in his eyes, "And now it's gone."

"Aster..." Katherine pushed herself between them, "Enough."

Jack wanted to tell her to stop. For her to rest and cease trying to defend him. He wanted to but couldn't find the words.

Aster had no such loss of tongue, "No, Goose! You can't keep sticking up for him! Was the Dark Ages not a lesson enough for you? You want to make excuses for him until he sets off an Ice Age?"

They could almost hear the snap of Katherine's self-restraint. Face livid, she raised a hand, her fingers twitching with the urge to slap Aster's furry cheek as she looked him coldly in the eye.

Aster looked immediately regretful for what he said and not because of the threat of injury, "No, wait! I didn't mean-"

Katherine lowered her hand, slowly passing it over her eyes, "I'm sorry too. I keep on messing up... no matter what era I'm in," she let out a bitter laugh, lowering her hand to reveal her eyes devoid of light, "I'm supposed to be the oldest and most experienced, but because of my weakness, I doomed you all."

"No!" Jack grabbed her by the shoulders and whirled her around to face him, devastated that she was taking all the blame upon herself, "Katherine! It's not your fault! It's mine! I did this!"

"It's not!" Katherine shook her head, covering her ears as the dark veins spread up her arms and across her face, "It's all my fault! I messed up again! I know Pitch better than any of us, and I didn't try hard enough to stop him!"

"You can't be everywhere at once," Jack reasoned, "We shouldn't be having you do this alone!"

Katherine couldn't hear him anymore, her self-deprecating spiral causing her ears to roar while her breathing came out ragged and choked, devoiding her of air.

"Katherine!"

Aster rushed over, prying Jack's nerveless hands away as he helped the panicking Katherine to the ground, "Leave her be a moment!" he instructed, looking like he'd dealt with similar situations before, "Tooth!"

The Tooth Fairy responded with similarly practiced ease, "Katherine! Breathe with me!" she rested an arm across the other woman's back, taking slow, deliberate breaths.

North sank to one knee, placing a hand on Katherine's knee, "Goose, we are here. You are going to be fine." 

Aster knelt on the other side, "Inhale when I count," he encouraged, "One... two... three... Now exhale! One... Two... Three..."

Jack looked on helplessly, feeling even more guilt and shame on seeing what his overconfidence had caused.

It was a long while before Katherine returned to a stable state of mind.

A completely repentant Aster was first to apologize, "I'm sorry I said that. I have no excuse. You never deserved that from me or anyone."

Katherine accepted his paw, squeezing it in understanding, "I know. I'm at fault for not considering how this all affected you. I wish I could have done something to stop all this."

Aster gave her a severe look, "Listen, Goose. You aren't weak. You're the meanest little minx I've ever known."

Toothiana nodded in agreement, "You've been there for us when we needed you most. You taught us what it meant to be Guardians. Without you, we wouldn't have this purpose. Without you, we probably wouldn't even exist!"

North rested on a knee, looking more solemn than he'd been in years, "You are many things, Goose, but a failure is not one of them."

Katherine nodded, dry-eyed and empty of tears, "Thanks," she realized something was missing and looked around, noticing one of them was missing, "Where's Jack?" 

Jack was gone. The only trace of his being there was the fallen charm Katherine had given him. He'd dropped it before flying off, too guilty to face them.

"Oh boy, this ain't good," Aster muttered, "I messed up."

"We all messed up, Bunny," Tooth reminded him, "He made a mistake, but we're supposed to help him through them, not place the blame. All of us started out just like him."

Katherine placed a hand on the ground and tried to push herself to her feet, "Pitch will make one last attempt to crush all remaining believers," she collapsed but waved off helping hands as she managed to stand, "We have to prepare," with new strength born of the sheer resolution, she held her book to her chest, looking over the others in turn, "Go."

Tooth could barely fly, but seeing how much weaker Katherine had gotten made her more concerned, "But what about you? You've been weakened! If Pitch targets you now-"

"That's what I am hoping," Katherine replied, her thumb tracing over the worn leather in her hands, "I still have one ace left to play."

North gave her a grim look, "Goose if you use that power again under these conditions, there is no coming back."

Katherine held out a hand, causing the fallen charm to float to her, "This battle will require every advantage," with a deep breath, she crushed it using the words' power to form a circular portal, "Defend the children at all costs," she commanded entering through the gate to the unknown, a dark shadow hiding her expression, "Leave Pitch to me."