Chapter 17: Back in the Arms of the Unity

I wasn't sure how long I was out, only that I faded into unconsciousness somewhere between Sama and her team helping me away from the mini-forge and about ten steps towards one of the base access points. And when I woke up, it was to the bright neon and constant rain of the Tron Grid my mind had built inside the Great Unity's VR space.

I laid on my bed for a long moment, staring at the slow dance of subtle holographic patterns on the ceiling above me, fashioned in such a way that it was both soothing and stimulating at the same time. Then, with a surge of motion, I swung around and scooted to the end of the broad surface to put my feet over the edge.

- Welcome back, Two, - a soft voice said into the depths of my mind as the light in the room strengthened enough to relieve the gray but not blind me. - We hope you're feeling rested and renewed. -

"Yes, Unity, I am," I said out loud. "Thank you once again for your hospitality."

- Of course, - the soft voice replied, speaking both in my mind and all around me, coming from a million throats and from none at all.

- Always a pleasure to have you here amongst us. - There was a slight pause before: - And it would appear that you have a visitor. General Hannibal Barca would like a moment to speak to you. -

"Mm. Do I have enough time to shower and dress?" I asked, standing and walking to the window that dominated one wall of the bedroom, letting me look out over the glowing magnificence of Grid City.

- Of course, Two. Take all the time you need! You'll find a change of clothing waiting for you once you exit the shower. -

Hannibal looked up from the small statue he was holding in his hands, his face lit by the careful neon tracing that moved over its surface, to watch me descend the curving flight of stairs that appeared step by step as I descended only to disappear behind me. As expected, he looked human, a tall, broad shouldered man of North African descent in a Risen uniform with a hint of gray at the temples of his close-shorn hair, handsome, regal and dignified. Yet his square-jawed face was firm with resolve and the weight of command, his dark-eyed gaze direct and confident.

"Two," he greeted me, his human voice a little more gravelly than his k'ethik shell one.

"General, sir," I said, stepping onto the dark tiled floor to walk towards him. "Looks like you've discovered one of the perks of being in Unity VR space."

Hannibal glanced down at himself and chuckled.

"Yes. Back in the flesh once again." He put the statue down. "How are you feeling? You gave us a bit of a scare there, falling unconscious."

"Because neoshells aren't supposed to?" I asked with a wry smile, which grew when the venerable ghost nodded. "Thankfully there's something about being in here that strengthens me."

Hannibal reached out and put a comradely hand on my shoulder.

"That, it does," he said, giving my shoulder a squeeze. "Regardless, good to see you back on your feet. Just about ready to go back outside and see the chaos you've stirred up?"

I chuckled once again.

"I can imagine. Do we have enough time to grab a bite to eat? I know a place downtown that a friend of mine showed me. The eggs benedict are really something there."

Hannibal dropped his hand and nodded.

"Since I had been dead two or three thousand years by the time those were invented, I've never had," he noted. "And about that amount of time since I had to eat. So it'll be an experience on two fronts. Lead the way!"