Back on Task

Stepping back to the mini-forge, I could see the room we had already created by setting up the pocket space. All of the Ascendency personnel that had been languishing in a tight group close to the entrance, had been immediately directed by Captain Teal into the pocket, opening up that space once again. And, after a quick discussion with Teal and the other Ascendency officers, Hannibal was also sending our Risen troops into the pocket where an actual field hospital was part of the setup Sama was working on, giving our summoners a space to more rigorously look after the troops we had pulled out of the cell network.

"We'll also start fabricating vehicles for ground and air," one of the Ascendency officers said as I drew near to report to Hannibal. "We'll just need a zero point power source, or something similar to plug into our power grid."

Hannibal nodded then, as I came into his line of sight, his eyes moved onto me.

"Good timing, Colonel Griff," he said, gesturing that I join them before looking back to the armored Ascendency officer that had indicated they needed a power source to get started. "By his expression, I can tell Two has completed the pocket space generator, and has restarted the recovery process for the rest of your personnel. He'll be able to help you with a power source." He looked back at me.

"Two?"

"General," I said with a nod before turning to Griff, a square jawed male with obsidian eyes. "Colonel. Actually, I've used some on-hand t'sang tech to build a power source directly into your pocket space. You'll find all of your equipment able to draw from that grid immediately."

A smile appeared on Griff's face.

"Ah, well done, Two!" the Ascendency officer declared. He then looked at Hannibal.

""Looks like we have some work to do, General. By your leave, sir?"

It didn't take the Ascendency to start making good on their side of the alliance we forged with them. Almost immediately upon stepping into the pocket space that held their new base, they were powering up machine shops and fabrication facilities, putting together vehicles and assembling weapons.

Hannibal nodded as he watched several transports moving material to what I recognized as a Hub from my time in the shatterverse vision observing the real Ascendency at work, the terrans determined to bring their own AI into this world.

"Looks like our new allies are just as determined to see the end of this war as we are, Two." He looked over at me. "But, by no means are we going to wait for them to build their forces. Is the mini-forge still running the restoration protocol?"

"Yes, sir," I answered. "I might have to take it offline to build a second forge if we want the process moving faster."

The venerable ghost quickly shook his head.

"Griff seems happy with the current rate," he indicated. "It lets him integrate the returning personnel into his setup in smaller numbers, creating efficiency and effectiveness without overwhelming any of his psychiatric staff." A wry smile touched his lips.

"At least, that's what he's told me." His expression became thoughtful. "With the Collector possibly out of the picture for the moment, now's our chance to get the implantations back on track. Once the entities are back into planets, then we can turn our attention to the Collector with some Ascendency tech at our backs to help out."

"Copy that, sir," I said with a grin.

"Go find Naveaia and get her to reassemble her team. While you do that, I'll find our remaining entities. First stop, Vask's world on the other side of the astral chromatic barrier to get Turen and Stephos!