The breeze sifted through our misty hair. Closing my eyes for a moment, I breathed it in. "I don't know if 'ready' is the right word. Especially when you were in the middle of talking about that spiritual plane."

With that, Peter dove further into where we left off – which was jarring. As I was perched on the edge of my seat, he was a few feet away, leaning against one of the poles supporting the upper-deck. All the while, he continued blowing my mind. He further explained the place Famine took me, this 'plain,' was something humans couldn't access without help. Meaning humans did not belong there. Once he laid that on the table though... the connection I made was disturbing. Because if humans didn't belong in that plain... did that mean all those people in that bar weren't human?

Sure enough, Peter confirmed that every person there was otherworldly. Apparently, when humans do go to there, they can't function for long. That place drains human energy, but that wasn't the only reason I became tired and weak.

"Famine was sucking you dry too, so between him and the plane, you were drained in double time. He leaches off the energy of anyone and anything around him."

My heart jolted in fear. "Anyone and anything?"

Shoulder propped by the pole across from me, he crossed his toned arms and nodded. "People, plants, electricity, lights, any source of energy. He's a nasty fucking black hole." Letting out an impatient exhale, his lips twisted in disgust. Famine was a sour subject for him, fueling him to become more animated and tense. "If I hadn't showed up, you would have been stuck and completely powerless. Do you understand? You walked into a lion's den. All for the sake of answers not ever meant for you. It just is astounding that you ignored all the red flags. You really think he stalked you in your dreams, lured you there, and promised to help you because he was a good upstanding guy?" Leveling the furry in his tone, he forcefully stopped his rant. Brows furrowing, he scoffed. "Did he tell you what his job is? I'm curious how much fluff he added to his job description."

"Well, his job wasn't to bitch me out for something that wasn't my fault. Like I said, how the fuck was I supposed to know any of that," I mumbled, running a hand through my kinked hair. "He basically said he works behind the scenes of Heaven and Hell. I'll go out on a limb and say Heaven isn't the one that hire him."

"Famine works as a representative for Hell. This... this is complex so it's alright if you don't understand right away. Or understand all of this," he sighed. "Unlike humans, unlike full-blooded angels or demons, he is a half-breed. He's a half human and half demon. Because of this, he can easily live in this plane and the other one without any limitations. This makes him a very versatile businessman. He is the perfect middleman between the mortal and the divine because he can access both," he sneered. "We happen to live in his district where he seeks new clients. He wanted you to be one of them."

Famine said earlier people were born half blind. That was exactly how I felt. Famine removed the blindfold, but Peter was giving me the bigger picture. A scary picture. Even though I had no clue until now, I still should have listened to my gut. I should have noted those 'red flags' as he put it. I knew Famine was dangerous, but hearing all this, put a bitter taste in my mouth.

It also confused me. "You mean even though he is half-demon, he's more dangerous and powerful than a regular demon?"

"No, but he has more authority and control here."

"Authority over what? Or who?"

"Not us. We just happen to live in his district. His authority is to oversee deals between Hell and humans. Anyone who signs a contract with him is monitored by him. He also gives demons access to this world."

"Wait, he brings demons here into the world?"

"Yes. Remember, humans can't go to the other plane without help. Demons can't come to this plane without help. So any full human or full demon needs assistance going to a plane they do not belong – but Famine belongs in both. Like I said, that's why he is the perfect middleman. He's a bridge. He can take you to the other plane. He can bring demons into this one."