2.16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN!
alternatively titled: percy's smarter than he looks

IF KEIRYN HAD A DOLLAR FOR EVERY TIME HE WAS TAKEN HOSTAGE BY HIS INSANE COUSIN, HE'D HAVE TWO DOLLARS

IF KEIRYN HAD A DOLLAR FOR EVERY TIME HE WAS TAKEN HOSTAGE BY HIS INSANE COUSIN, HE'D HAVE TWO DOLLARS. ITS NOT MUCH BUT ITS WEIRD THAT IT HAPPENED TWICE.

The bear twins herded them aboard the Princess Andromeda. They threw them all down on the aft deck in front of a swimming pool with sparkling fountains that sprayed into the air. A dozen of Luke's assorted goons—snake people, Laistrygonians, demigods in battle armor—had gathered to watch us get some "hospitality."

"And so, the Fleece," Luke mused. "Where is it?" He looked us over, prodding Aurora's shirt with the tip of his sword, poking Grover's jeans.

"Hey!" Grover yelled. "That's real goat fur under there!"

"Sorry, old friend." Luke smiled. "Just give me the Fleece and I'll leave you to return to your, ah, little nature quest."

"Blaa-ha-ha!" Grover protested. "Some old friend!"

"Maybe you didn't hear me." Luke's voice was dangerously calm. "Where—is—the—Fleece?"

"Not here," Keiryn told him smugly, he knew it was stupid to put himself in Luke's line of fire, but it felt kind of good to throw the truth in his face. "We sent it on ahead of us. You messed up."

Luke's eyes narrowed. "You're lying. You couldn't have ..." His face reddened as a horrible possibility occurred to him. "Clarisse?"

Percy nodded.

"You trusted ... you gave ..."

"Yeah."

"Agrius!"

The bear giant flinched. "Y-yes?"

"Get below and prepare my steed. Bring it to the deck. I need to fly to the Miami Airport, fast.'"

"But, boss—"

"Do it!" Luke screamed. "Or I'll feed you to the drakon!"

The bear-man gulped and lumbered down the stairs. Luke paced in front of the swimming pool, cursing in Ancient Greek, gripping his sword so tight his knuckles turned white.

The rest of Luke's crew looked uneasy. Maybe they'd never seen their boss so unhinged before.

Keiryn looked over to Percy, and could practically hear the cogs turning in his head. His eyes were flicking from the swimming pool, and then to the fountains spraying mist into the air, making a rainbow in the sunset. Suddenly, Keiryn knew exactly what Percy was planning.

"You've been toying with us all along," He said. "You wanted us to bring you the Fleece and save you the trouble of getting it."

Luke scowled. "Of course, you idiot! And you've messed everything up!"