Chapter 15: Two-Minute Warning

Start from the beginning

Without warning Nick dropped the things he was holding back into the box then faced Nat.

"You're packing up?"

"Yeah. Mr. Stoll said Callaghan wanted me out the same day as you guys."

"Unbelievable. You better start unpacking. I was actually gonna go talk to Callaghan after seeing you."

"And what are you gonna tell him Nick? Look I don't want to stop you... but the last thing I want is for there to be any more problems."

"Don't worry about that. There won't be. I'm going to talk to him. He's going to let you stay. And you're going to unpack."

Nat shook her head and made her way to the box on the desk. She closed it then looked back at Nick.

"You talk to him babe. And if he lets me stay I'll gladly bring my stuff back from my car. But honestly, I'm not going to hold my breath. I know how coaches can be."

Nick shook his head and had his hands on his hips. He had the same look in his eye he got every time before a match.

"Have you packed up your apartment yet?" He asked, sounding mad, as though he already knew he wouldn't like Nat's answer.

"Yeah, I started already. I'm leaving most of the stuff because it belongs to Raf, but I still have some stuff I need to put away."

Nat went to pick up the box but Nick immediately put it back down on the desk. He then went and grabbed each of Nat's hands in his own and held them up.

"Nat. Why are you leaving?"

"Because I have to. I don't have a job anymore."

"That doesn't mean you have to leave."

"How am I going to pay rent?"

"I'm not going to charge you rent babe."

"Oh? So I guess I'll just watch your apartment while you're off in Florida?"

"If I'm in Florida you're gonna be there too."

"Nick, I've never left California before. And no offense but Florida is the last place I would want to visit first."

"It's not that bad. We have beaches. It'll be just like the bay."

"And what am I supposed to do all day?"

"Well you can still get a job. Miami isn't too far from where I live."

"And what kind of job am I gonna have in Miami? The Sharks are in the offseason too."

"Does it have to be football? Why can't you work for a basketball team or baseball or something?"

"If I asked you the same question, what would you say back to me?"

This made Nick stop. He looked at Nat with his mouth slightly open before he closed it again. Nat could see the defeat in his eyes, but all he did was keep staring back at her like she was a crossword puzzle he was trying to solve. Nat didn't like shutting him down at every step, but she was never one to be delusional. She knew it was time to go and she knew getting Nick to accept that fact would be the hardest thing about leaving.

"Nataly Casillas... I'm ready to do whatever I need to do to make this work. If you want to work for a football team, that's fine. We can find one here in the bay you could work for. There's a couple of colleges in the area I can hit up. I'm sure they would hire you if I asked."

"Nick, that's really sweet of you. If you want to do that for me, by all means go for it. If you do get me a job I promise I'll come back and live at your place. But I'm still going to pack up my things and I'm still going back to Los Angeles. I want to visit Raf's mom, and see my own mom. I also want to hang out with Stef while I still can. Lucky girl actually managed to score a few interviews with other NFA teams. She'll probably be shipping out once the season starts back up."