• Risks We Have To Take •

Start from the beginning

"We'll be back. Be safe," he said, pressing a kiss gently to my lips.

My face flushed, knowing that the majority of people were very much in the RV. Abraham whistled lowly before hiding his laugh, making me flush even more.

"Nearly as red as my hair, peach," he said, and I slapped his knee as I attempted to shove him out of his seat so I could steal it.

He let me push him, scooting himself over and then standing up to go help Maggie. I stood up quickly, trying to help in any way. She grabbed my hand gently, smiling at me, but I could see her pain as she held her abdomen.

"I'm okay Lia. You stay safe, okay?" She said.

"We're gonna lead them away, yeah? You're gonna be okay," I tried to reassure her.

She chuckled, wincing in more pain. Eventually, everyone left the RV, but Rick stayed.

"You gonna be okay?" He asked Tyreese, then at me.

We looked at each other and nodded. Rick nodded as well, holding his gun tightly.

"We appreciate this."

————————

"Tyreese, Lia, we've ran into a problem," Eugene said, his voice shaky, and I stood up resting my hands on the dashboard to look outside.

Outside was a lot of people blocking the road all of them holding weapons that put my pistol and knives to shame. I looked at Tyreese who had a rather determined look on his face. He grabbed my hand pulling me back from the window and Eugene began to breathe faster.

I took my gun out checking the bullets and looked to Tyreese.

"Amelia, I want you to hide in the back of the RV, anyone gets in here you take 'em out," Tyreese says and I instantly frown.

"No. We came to help Eugene and buy time for Maggie. I'm not hiding," I say, and Tyreese screws his eyes shut.

"We can't kill them all, Amelia," Tyreese said.

"I know that. But we can kill enough of them, take our time and keep them distracted. Maggie needs to get to Hilltop."

"Come on out!" An unknown voice shouts to us and I look to Tyreese.

"I have an idea. It's dark right? What's the odds they'll see me sneak out the roof?" I whisper to Tyreese.

"I don't know. Low, I guess."

"Boost me up," I say.

He does as I say, and I climb out the top of the RV, instantly laying down. From up here, I can see a few lone people in the woods, standing on guard. For walkers or more people, I wasn't sure. I crawled on my stomach to the back of the RV, away from the people and lowered myself to the floor, landing as silently as possible.

I could hear Tyreese and Eugene talking, but I couldn't make out the words. Crouched down, I ran to the tree line, ducking behind a tree out of sight. I made my way further away from the people, having to hide behind trees to avoid being seen from the lone people. Once I'd made distance, I aimed my gun to the sky and fired off two shots. I sprinted away, ducking behind trees as I heard heavy footsteps coming my way.

I fired more shots. My plan was working. I was drawing enough away that Tyreese could hopefully kill all the ones still there. I looped back around, taking a longer way back to the RV to avoid being caught. Hopefully, the ones I'd managed to draw away kept running in the direction I was firing my gun.

I got to the RV. It had been moved slightly to a more open clearing. What was once pitch black surroundings, lit up instantly. I shielded my eyes, before looking up. Eugene and Tyreese we're both on their knees. They didn't look like they'd been treat very nicely. I could see Daryl, Rosita, Michonne and Glenn as well all looking at me. What had I ran back into?

"What the fuck?" I mumbled.

I felt arms wrap around me tightly and instantly felt sick. My mind was racing and my heart was pounding as I thrashed in their hold. I needed them off of me. I grunted, aiming my gun over my left shoulder and shot. I dropped to my knees feeling the weight off of me, and covered my left ear with my hand to try and aid the ringing that forced a headache to me.

I couldn't hear the people shouting at me, I just grabbed my gun to aim it at the next fucker that ran at me. They were closer than I thought, practically arms length away as I pointed my gun at them. I shot, but they'd grabbed the gun and aimed it up, making the bullet fly over their shoulder. I prayed it hit no one that I cared for.

The man was stronger than me by a mile, pulling the gun from my hands and instantly hitting me around the head with it. It disorientated me completely, it made my head spin and my knees feel weak but it also filled me with a rage of knowing they could've done the same to my family. I fell, landing on my hands and knees, my back to the man.

I could hear Tyreese yelling, but his words didn't reach my ears. They were still ringing. As I blinked away the blurriness surrounding my vision I saw the man pointing a gun at a now stood up Tyreese.

I lunged at him again, which took him off guard as he didn't expect me to retaliate even more and he was already preoccupied with Tyreese. I managed to land a hit on his face, but was also pistol-whipped, again.

As I laid on my back, trying to blink away the pain, I heard a bang. I looked up, seeing Tyreese stood in front of me. His back was to me, but I could see the blood pooling at his shirt. Another bang. This time, he dropped. I could see the blood pooling at his head. I couldn't get back up, and just laid on my back, staring back at the barrel of the gun out of breath. More guns appeared, pointed down at me as I laid on my back. Assault rifles, one of which pressed hard to my temple.

"Are you done?" One of them shouted, and I tried catching my breath as discreetly as I could.

My eyes were foggy, and couldn't focus very well on one spot and so I just looked at the sky, past all of the guns and ignored him.

"Yeah," the man I attacked answered. "She's done," he said smugly.

He grabbed my forearm tightly, pulling me to my feet and dragging me to the others. I managed to swipe Tyreese's hat into my hands, encouraging a laugh from the smug man. My head spun and I couldn't quite get my legs to catch up with me.

I was thrown to the floor in between Rosita and Daryl and Glenn. No one spoke to me, I just stared at the floor trying to focus on one spot as the gun stayed trained on my forehead. They clearly didn't trust me not to lash out. I didn't know whether to take it as an insult or compliment.

I saw droplets of blood making small splashes on the dirt below me and brought my hand up to feel the throbbing in my head. Both my nose and forehead was bleeding. I used my hands to keep myself propped upright, waiting for the dizziness to subside. I breathed through my mouth, which didn't help the taste of blood in my mouth but did help against not inhaling it through my nose. I felt a hand on top of mine, and looked down to see Daryl's hand,  rubbing small circles on my knuckles before intertwining with my fingers and squeezing tightly.

It brought me a lot of comfort, a lot more than what I thought, so I squeezed his hand as well.

"Hey! What are y'all doing?" Someone said, and I looked up through hazy, angry eyes to see the gun pointed at our hands.

"What? I ain't allowed to hold my kids hand?" Daryl said.

I didn't know what happened. One minute I was fighting and the next I wasn't. My eyes landed on Tyreese and it dawned on me. He was actually dead. I didn't know how it happened. He just appeared in front of me and the next he's dead.

This was my fault.