S E V E N T E E N

Start from the beginning

"Hey mum. Hey Harley."

The last time Harley had seen Topper was when he was choking Pope. She didn't respond to Topper which didn't go unnoticed by his ever vigilant mother. She gave a knowing hum which seemed to make Topper sweat.

"I'm going to borrow Harley from you. Leave you to mingle." His tight lipped smile reflected the strained bond with his mother.

Harley let Topper pull her away. Between him and his mother, Topper was more digestible one on one.

"What do you want, Topper?" Harley settled against a wooden rail and folded her arms.

"To talk."

The pair hadn't spoken properly since the night at the boneyard when he fought John B. That was the night Harley got a glimpse into who Topper really was and what he was truly like. He had always been so kind to Harley, he made her laugh and he had always done silly things with her that Rafe wouldn't. She had never expected to hear him say such spiteful things to John B and then hold him underwater, just like Rafe had done to her.

"...About what? I don't really have much to say to you."

Topper averted his eyes and sighed deeply. He hadn't expected that response from Harley. "Come on, H. We're friends."

"No we're not. A friend doesn't watch as someone does fucked up shit to their supposed friend."

Topper shook his head with a frown and stepped closer. "I've always stepped in between you and Rafe."

"Do you want a medal?" Topper had done what any decent human being should. He made it seem like he had gone out of his way to do something ground breaking. "You beat up my friends and then stand back with Kelce as Rafe does fucked up shit.

Topper's sharp response added an icy bite to the air around them. "Funny. Your Pogues do the same thing. How's restitution going for your little buddy?"

That right there was why they couldn't be friends. Topper had a malicious side to him and she wondered how closely it mimicked Rafe.

Harley scoffed ready to abandon Topper on the veranda but his arm stopped her.

"I'm sorry." No he wasn't. "I am."

"When you're not around Rafe and you're not letting him get in your head, I think you're a great guy. You're caring, fun, loyal, and always the first to match my energy. You don't need to do things to fit in with Rafe. As long as you keep trying to be like him, we can't be friends."

"I'm not trying to be Rafe," Topper stated defiantly. He rolled his shoulders. It was obvious he didn't like the comparison. The truth hurt. "Look, I just wanted you to know that I missed you being around. The Pogues drew you in with their illegal thrills and cheap beer, I get it. But, no one would question if you had enough and came back to the Kooks."

"I'm not a Kook, Topper."

"You are. No matter what you do or what you say, everyone can see it. I get it, it's cool to slum it for a while, but don't ruin your life with those assholes."

"You guys are the assholes. You tried to drown my brother! Rafe tried to drown me!"

"Rafe shouldn't have done that. But, John B isn't your brother," Topper huffed with exasperation. "What makes them so much better than us? The same thing clearly seems to be drawing Sarah in."

"What? What does this have to do with Sarah?" Topper's jaw clenched in response. He looked pissed as he thought about the Cameron girl. Whatever it was Harley didn't care. She didn't like Sarah. "Look, if you want to be my friend, you need to accept my friends and my brother. Otherwise, forget it."