Can One Be Loyal to a Fault? ∼ 36

Start from the beginning

But Tcelia had to tell him something, anything to lift his spirits, "Kiri is alright," she said softly, slowly placing her hand on the ground next to Spider's so that their hands were inches from touching. "She misses you a lot though." She paused briefly, remembering the conversation she'd had with Lo'ak on the beach after having fixed Norm and Max's thermometer. "We all do."

Spider's gaze, that had been resting on their hands, shot up to settle on Tcelia. "Kiri is alright?" he repeated, voice laced with relief.

Tcelia nodded, smiling softly. Despite everything, she was glad she could bring him some good news. She was desperately trying to ignore the throbbing in her head as she focused on Spider. Then she remembered someone else.

"Ao'nung!" she exclaimed, her head swiveling to the side to search for him. Relief shot through her upon seeing the boy still lying next to her. He was still unconscious, but Tcelia could see his chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm. "Has he been awake yet?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows. Ao'nung's sleeping face looked troubled, as if he was experiencing something unpleasant in his dream.

"No, not yet." Spider sighed, "Although I did check on him after you fell asleep. He should be alright; he's just got a bump on the back of his head." He paused briefly, "It's probably the trauma that has him passed out by now."

Tcelia was still looking at Ao'nung, another bout of guilt filling her entire being. He looked so vulnerable in his sleep, so open and unlike the smug Ao'nung she had come to know and even care for over the past few weeks. Tcelia let out a shaky breath as she shifted her position, careful not to disturb Ao'nung's rest. She couldn't believe how quickly everything had gone wrong.

"It is all my fault," Tcelia whispered. "I was the one who agreed to go outside of the reef. If I had only listened to Neteyam, we wouldn't have been captured. Ao'nung wouldn't be lying here, and the Sullies wouldn't have to flee for a second time."

"It's not your fault-" Spider began to reassure her but Tcelia cut him off quickly.

"Please don't." she shook her head, finally looking over at Spider again. He had adjusted his position and was now facing her fully. His eyes shone with empathy. Tcelia hated it. "Don't tell me it wasn't my fault. I know it was. And that's a responsibility I'll have to live with for the rest of my life," she chuckled drily, "However long that may be."

"Don't say that!" Spider hissed, leaning closer to her. "No one is dying. We'll find a way out, I know it."

Tcelia managed a weak smile and adjusted her position so that she could sit more comfortably, the small sliver of self-pity that had occupied her mind leaving instantly upon seeing the hopeful look on Spider's face. "Don't get me wrong, bro. I will find a way for us to escape no matter what. I will go down fighting."

"Hey! What did I say about speaking Na'vi." The soldier yelled again, glancing up from the knife he had been polishing for at least an hour. Tcelia and Spider's gazes locked for a second before they both rolled their eyes at the guard. A smile broke out on Tcelia's face as she leaned her head back against the wall.

Spider leaned over ever so slightly, lowering his voice, amusement glinting in his eyes, "That knife's probably his only friend here, that's why he takes so good care of it."

Tcelia glanced at the soldier before a smirk tugged on her lips, "He probably sleeps with it in his bed every night."

Spider snickered, "He's probably got a name for it and dresses it up in small, knife sized clothes and-"

A loud commotion cut Spider off and both of their heads snapped in the direction of the loud noises. Five Avatars, led by Quaritch, marched around the corner of one of the crates, passing the soldier that had been leaning against it. He straightened up immediately, ready to receive orders, precious knife tucked safely into his belt. The Avatars made their way directly towards Tcelia, Spider and Ao'nung. Tcelia realized with a start that it had gotten a lot brighter than when she had first woken up, and she could now clearly see the colonel's smug smile plastered across his face.