46. Thranduil | The Gift

Start from the beginning

"Do you miss our home too?" Y/N murmured as her own heart filled with horrible longing. They had marched from the safety and comfort of Greenwood months ago, yet the end of this war was nowhere near in sight. The Elvish general leaned her forehead against her mare's shoulder, allowing her mind to drift back to home. She thought about the Great Hall, always filled with laughter and cheerful banter while everyone helped themselves to whatever delicious dish was being served. Y/N longed for the illuminated pathways weaving throughout the forest of their homeland, she longed for the sounds of birds, perching on high and low branches just outside her windows, gifting her with the privilege of their songs. She longed for the intricate hallways, so beautifully and masterfully crafted. But most of all, she longed for her husband and his touch, their blissful nights together when they would be alone in their chambers. What would he say if he knew? Y/N couldn't help but send a prayer to the Valar that this war soon come to an end for she has been deprived of her husband's love for far too long. There were no words, neither in Westron or Elvish, nor ancient Dwarvish, to describe the longing Y/N felt for her husband. At times it became utterly unbearable, making the general struggle to even fill her lungs with air. It felt as if her body was slowly dying without the touch of her king, her husband, her lover. She was a withering flower on a blood-soaked field, desperately trying to survive against all odds.

"Hiril nîn!" just as Y/N was about to lose herself to her torment and longing, Morfindaer's urgent call beckoned her back to this world. She untangled her fingers from Elenath's mane and watched as the young elf was dismounting his charger. He looked rather flushed, his chest rising and falling rapidly as he hastily approached his queen.
"Catch your breath, Morfindaer," she spoke to the young elf soldier who gratefully bowed his head and allowed himself a moment to regain his composure.
"Our scouts have sighted the king's forces, they're setting up camp just over that ridge over there," Y/N's eyes followed Morfindaer's pointed finger to the ridge not too far from where they were located now. A warm sensation began like a soft and pleasant stream, taking course through her veins and invigorating her entire being just at the mere thought of seeing her beloved again after all these months. Perhaps it was time. Y/N closed her eyes as a hopeful smile was slowly beginning to decorate her features. As the Elvish queen opened her mouth to voice her joy over this happily unexpected news, she was interrupted by the sound of their horn signaling the return of their riders. A company of five were galloping towards their queen and general, their horses' hooves unearthing dirt in all directions in their wake. They were making full haste towards her, making Y/N wonder if something had happened. Perhaps their scouts had sighted more orc filth in their vicinity but surely, they would have sounded the horn to indicate that the enemy was near, and they ought to get ready. Or perhaps they were rushing to bring her the news of something befalling her husband, their king. As soon as that dreadful thought entered her mind, Y/N forced it out. She would not entertain any such grim notions unless she knew for certain.

"My lady, we bring word from lord Thranduil. We are to unite our forces at their encampment as soon as possible," Calemen, the second oldest of the five riders informed her upon their arrival. Y/N closed her eyes for a moment, utter relief washing over her bones and flesh alike. He had sent for them, for her. Unknowingly so, he has sent for you as well.
"Then we must not keep our king waiting," when she spoke, she was the same strong and capable general she had been only moments ago when her swords had slashed through orc ranks like they were nothing. As Y/N took hold of Elenath's reins and moved to mount her, a very secret yet happy tear was slowly running its course down her cheek. Her soul would no longer be withering with longing, a breath of life was so near she could almost taste it. Soon, my darling. Tonight.

"Have our wounded mounted on horses for the journey. Prepare the wagons, we will bring our dead with us for now," Y/N instructed from her horse as she adjusted her seat.