30. Thorin | It's the Beard

Start from the beginning

He nodded and took in a deep breath as you let go of his arm and slipped out of his coat and handed it back to him, trying his best to keep his smile as you wished each other a good night and you slipped into your apartment. He stood there for a moment eying your door before he turned and headed for his room, only able to sleep as he used his coat that still smelled like you as his blanket.

The next morning he woke and got dressed, enjoying the group breakfast with the Company, choosing his normal seat next to you trying to enjoy your presence enough to calm himself. His eyes wandering over you admiring your best dress that you had hidden in your pack, a deep green velvet dress that had a corset under the top for support as the small straps rested over the top of your arms and it hung straight to the floor around you with matching shoes and your hair braided up into a bun with your bangs hanging down the left side of your face with several jeweled beads placed through your hair, that Thorin had gifted you, informing Dori to take what you needed from the treasury to decorate you for the night.

As the breakfast had ended Thorin had been led away and you spotted the doubt in his eyes as he headed for his next stop before his speech, later he caught the Company, excluding you, as they were heading for their spot in the crowds. Bofur leaned in as he spotted Thorin searching for you, "She stumbled on the stairs, has to rest her ankle."

Thorin nodded and his face drew back into its stern blank position as he was internally screaming, feeling his heart pounding quickly wishing he could just skip the speech altogether and tend to you all night. Acknowledging the Company as they slipped out to take their places and heading out alone to the hallway leading to the stairs up to the ledge where he would be speaking.

His breathing deepened as he reached the slightly darkened stairs looking up at the light rising from over the top of them, raising his boot to the first step and having it slip off the edge, having to catch himself quickly. Grumbling to himself as he shut his eyes and stood back up as he clenched his fists and his jaw trying to calm himself again, thankful he was alone. Until he heard a soft, "Psst." making his eyes dart open as he turned his head in the direction it came from, spotting you with a kind smile, waving your hand under your chin to mimic a beard then giving you a thumbs up. He smiled widely as he let out a quiet chuckle, looking down over himself and straightening his coat, nodding and drawing in a deep breath as he started to climb the stairs then letting it out after.

As he reached the top he spotted you on the ledge, having climbed up the hidden servants staircase, sitting behind a pillar in the shadow of it behind the solid half wall along the edge, settling your dress around yourself as he took his place, his heart warming up as he realized you had faked your injury to support him. Knowing that for missing his speech you would be given a hard time by the Dwarves, all of them saying you only get to see this once. As he reached the last chunk of his speech he spotted you slipping into the crowd, taking the mark in his speech you had memorized for your cue to sneak your way back when you knew he'd be strong enough to manage the rest. His eyes staying on you as you took the empty spot that the Company had left for you, seeing you gently rub your chin at him as his sentenced faltered, causing his speech to pick up again as his confidence rose again.

After he had finished his speech he heard thunderous applause, his smile rose again at the smile you had shot him before he went to head back down the stairs then through the crowd into the giant afterparty. As he was heading through the crowd Bofur leaned in, "Glad you made it, Lass, how's the ankle, are you sure you should be on it?"

You giggled, "I'll be fine, just have to be careful on the stairs."

As Thorin reached the group he looked over at you with a small smirk and the same sparkle in his eyes, "I'm glad you could make it, how's your ankle?"