Jack let out a shaky breath, "I guess... I don't know where to begin."

Katherine's expression softened, "Then ask me something. Anything," she said encouragingly, gently guiding him along.

"What's our friendship to you?"

Wow... plunging the knife right in.

Katherine reached out, clasping one of Jack's hands between her own, "Honestly, the best thing that happened since I became a Guardian... maybe even in my entire existence," her grey eyes met his blue ones, "Jack, you are a very important person to me. I'm sorry I didn't try to tell you before."

Jack's expression relaxed, reaching up and interlocking their fingers as he gently smiled, "Hey, there's nothing to apologize for. We both messed up a little. Maybe change isn't so bad."

Katherine stroked the back of his hand with her thumb, admiring the pale smoothness of his skin, "Just one step at a time."

The two of them suddenly became self-aware and pulled away, each hiding a blush.

"So... about this Guardian thing..." Jack quickly changed the subject.

Katherine cleared her throat, "Yes. What do you want to know?"

Jack leaned against the wall, staring up at the ceiling, "I don't know. It's just... All this time of asking the Moon what I'm here for, and after three hundred years, this is his answer? To spend eternity like all of you, cooped up in some hideout, thinking of new ways to bribe kids? I really don't see that in for me."

Katherine placed a hand on the table, giving Jack a look, "That's not fair to us, Jack. You spend a lot of time thinking of ways to find believers too. In your words, you are doing exactly the same thing on the daily."

Jack was struck silent, and for a moment, Katherine was afraid she'd gone too far.

To her surprise, Jack suddenly doubled over in laughter.

Katherine stared at him, confused, "What's so funny?"

Jack raised his head, his ribs aching as he gasped for breath, "S-sorry..." he gasped, "You-you're right," he took a deep breath, sending her a rueful grin, "I had that coming, sorry. You know you're the only person who's been able to talk to me like this," he paused, "That also applies in a literal sense."

Katherine blew out an amused sigh, turning away as she felt the heat climb up her neck, "You don't live as long as I do without learning a few things."

She realized she'd made a mistake when Jack slowly closed the distance between them, a mischievous look on his face, "Oh? So how old are you?"

Katherine glowered back, inched away as he stepped closer, "Never ask a lady her age, Jack.

"I'm not asking a lady," he almost purred, looking like a predator stalking its prey, "I'm asking a friend. Let me guess... four hundred years?"

She decided to play along, "Older."

"Five hundred?"

"Start multiplying."

He raised an eyebrow, "A thousand? Two thousand? You have no intention of actually telling me, are you?

Too late, he realized the tables were turned when she stood on her tiptoes, getting right in his face and giving him a smug smile, "Nope!"

"Alright~" he countered, "Mother Goose."

Jack distinctly saw a vein stand out on her forehead as she raised her voice, "Don't you start!"