Chapter 4

Tauriel gave Thranduil a son, as they had expected. They named him Amrod which in Sindarin meant 'high and lofty'. He was born healthy and strong and had the look of his father about him. Tauriel held him in her arms with great love and care, hardly wanting to part from her son. 

A small gathering was held to celebrate the birth of Amrod and to bring together old friends from Middle-Earth. Celeborn, Galadriel, Mithrandir, Gilros, Maldir and others all came at Thranduil's invitation, as well as Legolas with his betrothed Eliniel and, of course, with his best friend Gimli. 

Musicians were playing in the garden and on the field surrounding the habitation, good food was being served and fairy lights were decorating the trees. 

'This is beautiful.', Eliniel said, looking at the house and the place surrounding it.

'My father always had a liking for elegance and beautiful things.', Legolas replied, looking at her a little amused. 'He also used to throw some really good parties while he was King of Greenwood.'

'Is that so?', Eliniel replied, looking back at Legolas cheekily. 'I suppose you used to partake in those parties?'

'Sometimes.', Legolas replied with honesty. 'The wood elves were quite... fond of amusement. And of wine.'

'I can see that.', Eliniel laughed while looking at Feren and some of Legolas' old comrades who were talking merrily and indulging in some fine wine. 

'Legolas Greenleaf!', a guttural voice was heard.

Eliniel and Legolas turned. 

Mithrandir made his way to them with a kind smile.

'I am so happy to see you again.', he said, looking at Legolas and then turning his gaze towards Eliniel. 'And this must be your betrothed if I am not mistaken?'

He looked pretty much the same, with his long, white hair, warm demeanour but also mischievous at times. Gandalf also enjoyed a good party!

'Yes, she is.', Legolas replied. 'Gandalf, this is Eliniel.'

'Lovely to meet you, dear Eliniel. And congratulations to you both!', Gandalf said, turning his eyes from Eliniel to Legolas again. 'I am as happy for you two as I am for the arrival of your father's second child. We are living such blessed days, indeed, and we all have much to be grateful for.'

A loud round of applause started not too far away and the three of them turned their heads there. Around Thranduil and Tauriel there was now a circle of elves. Thranduil was holding the baby in his arms as the others were making toasts in his name, speaking blessings for the newborn. 

'We should make our way there.', Legolas spoke softly, taking Eliniel's hand. 'Come.'

The two walked on the soft grass, followed by Mithrandir. 

Thranduil was proudly holding his newborn son, wrapped in a fine light blue silk with golden embroidery. 

'My lord, Thranduil.', Gandalf started while looking with endearment at him. 'I couldn't be happier for you.'

'Mithrandir.', Thranduil answered with a little smirk.

'All the trials of Middle-Earth have finally concluded with some much-deserved happiness for you, my friend. Heartfelt congratulations to you and to your wife.', Gandalf continued.

Tauriel was also next to Thranduil and their son and she smiled at Mirthrandir, while caressing the blue silk in which Amrod was covered. She was wearing a thin elven tiara and had a beautiful dress made of heavy silk, dark grey in colour, with orange embroidery that matched her hair beautifully.