Chapter 4

They say that moments when you're at a loss for what to do are the most likely to cause discomfort, and Ash and May's situation can be summed up this way.

Inside the car, May petted Pikachu trying to do anything to distract herself. The day for her was very intense. It started with Ash appearing after half a decade to the public, the constant arguments with Drew, and finally, the end of their relationship.

It hurt a lot the way it all ended, it was more than three years by his side, for it all to end in just one day. But what was worse was the fact that Drew had kicked her out of the apartment they were sharing, not even worrying about how she was going to find somewhere to sleep.

And then Ash appeared.

If it weren't for the way she reconnected with Ash earlier, she would have believed that it was premeditated for him to find her sitting on the school sidewalk, but he still helped her, even though it was obvious that Ash was uncomfortable being around her.

Lost in her own thoughts, she didn't even notice when Ash parked the car at the supermarket.

"I'll get whatever I need to replenish my household supplies, buy whatever you need, meet me when you go to pay for the items." Ash didn't even look at her when he got out of the car. May nodded and got out of the car.

The way into the supermarket was silent, with Pikachu having claimed May's shoulder as its new favorite spot. Ash saw where his Pokemon chose to stay and decided to ignore it.

Pikachu was trying to discount the threat of running out of ketchup, of that he was sure.

It didn't take long for people to start recognizing May's presence there, she is one of the most famous coordinators in the world, and in Hoenn her fame is even greater. A crowd began to gather around her, and by extension, Ash. What should have been a simple visit to the supermarket has become a headache for the Aura Guardian, who hates being unnecessarily in the spotlight.

"Change of plans, you come with me, let's buy what we need and leave." Ash took May's hand and entered the supermarket, and his rash action caused countless people to misinterpret what was happening, and unfortunately for the Pokémon trainer, some people recorded videos of him entering the place with May.

Soon it would be on the internet, and its 'anonymity' would be officially destroyed.

May flushed with embarrassment, she listened to some of the comments and was also embarrassed that she was being nothing but a source of trouble for Ash, who was obviously annoyed by the current situation.

Over the next hour, Ash and May gathered whatever items they felt they needed, and as Ash started toward where he was going to make the payment, May put a hand on his shoulder.

"Ash, I'm sorry." He raised an eyebrow, not understanding where May was going with this conversation.

"I already told you I would pay for whatever you buy." May shook her head in denial.

"I'm not talking about what we're buying. I know you don't like talking to me, and since we met again today all I've done is bring trouble, if you're bothered, I can pretend like nothing happened... I just bring trouble to everyone." Ash stared impassively at the girl who was doing her best not to cry in front of him. And that made him a little angry.

The May he knows doesn't cry over anything, what happened to the girl who traveled with him through two different regions?

"I don't want your apologies, you didn't do anything wrong. It was my decision to help you, and I always keep my word." Ash left May absorbing what he said and went to pay for what they both bought.