The Competition Begins

Start from the beginning

Nini Maddie
Chloe Brooke Paige
Nia Mackenzie Layla

"Everybody wants to be front and
center. I hear it all the time." The dance teacher says.

-
Layla: I've never seen this pyramid before, but I'm kind of sad to be all the way at the bottom, but at least I'm next to Kenzie!
-

Abby looks between Maddie and Nini. "You both are at the top right?" The girls both smile and nod. "It won't be like this forever." Their smiles drop. "One of you will be above the other. You won't always be equal. Understand?"

"Yes Miss Abby." The girls say together. They have to compete against each other a lot, but they were best friends and it made them uncomfortable to have to knock the other down.

"Whoever is in the front
and center..." Abby points to Maddie and Nini's headshots. "You can't make a mistake. You are holding
that group together."

"So at the top right here
I have Nini and Maddie because they are dedicated and because of their stellar record last year. Nini you won two more competitions than Maddie did, so you're ahead of her on the pyramid. So, are you ready to be front and center?"

"Yes ma'am!" Nini says with confidence.

"Can you handle that pressure?"

"Yes I can!"

Abby high fives her. "That's why I like to hear!"

-
Robyn: Nini is always on the top and if it's not her, it's definitely miss Maddie. She's sensitive and doesn't like to hurt her people' feelings, so seeing her friends at the bottom is something she always feels bad about.
-

"Our first competition is going to be
in Phoenix, Arizona." Abby start. "Ladies, I chose Phoenix, Arizona because I want you to experience some of the best competition teams in the country and we are going to do two new numbers‐‐ a high‐energy, really cute, adorable routine with Maddie, Nini, Chloe, Paige, Brooke, and Nia." She points at everyone's headshots. "and then also a trio with Maddie, Chloe, and Nini. Our Bermuda Triangle Trio!" The trio cheers.

-
Maddie: We're called the Bermuda Triangle Trio because we sink our competition! We've been a trio since we were babies and we've never lost!"
-

"Unfortunately, MacKenzie and Layla, you two are too young to compete at West Coast Dance Explosion,
but you're still going to go with us anyway." Mackenzie nods and Layla gives a thumbs up.

"Girls, we are going to win in Phoenix, and the next competition we're going to win and the next competition we're going to win, and that's all gearing up for Nationals." Abby demands. "And at Nationals, you have no choice, but to win."

Abby: Everything we do from this point forward, all this training, all this competing is about the Nationals.

"So let's get to it. We are going to begin the choreography." Abby looks at the moms. "Moms, you can be dismissed, and girls, let's go to Nationals and bring home the winning trophy."

"All right?"

"All right!" The girls cheer.
~

The moms make their way up to the viewing room.

"Oh, we're back to dance jail up here." Christi jokes. Robyn laughs and shakes her head. "I'm kind of excited!" Robyn says optimistically. "I'm always teaching classes. so I never get time to just sit and watch!"

Kelly pats her shoulder. "Oh you're saying that now, but wait until day three. You're going to be so over it!" She jokes.

Robyn laughs and sips coffee and watches the girls learn their routine.