They were busy for many hours but in the end, they pulled though.

The nurse thought the signs of her coming to so soon was great news. A risky patient like this one dying on them would've more than likely run their reputations straight in the ground. While accidents do happen and you cannot save every patient on the operating table... It'd be dire if anything untoward were to happen.

Plus...they all knew who's family was overseeing and paying great attention to her stay.

The nurse lingered for a while longer and surveyed her condition, paying great attention to even the most minuscule details. She made sure her vitals were stable and that the patient was in deep sleep before later deciding that the check up was completed. Since the patient was already showing signs of consciousness, all they had to do was monitor her closely, administer another dosage of the pain relieving drug in 12 hours and she'd most likely open her eyes again in a few days. The nurse was sure but wouldn't bet on it being too long now.

The nurse took a very deep breath and squared her shoulders. She left the bedside and held her clipboard firmly as she walked the not too long distance out of the very spacious room.

As expected, before her feet could even land over the threshold, she was bombarded by three people, coming from all sides.

"Is she gonna be okay?"

"How is she?"

"Is Sophia okay now?"

"Is she awake-?"

They swarmed her like bees and buzzed around with their many questions. The nurse, whose done it so many times before since the day started and these people appeared, quickly gave a simple explanation to calm them.

"Yes she's okay," The nurse reassured them, "the final dosage of medication for today was administered, at least she won't feel the worst pains in her initial stages of recovery."

The oldest and more mature woman out of the three sighed to herself, mostly in relief and took the nurses hand, "Thank you."

Facing the woman's teary-eyed gaze, the nurse felt a pinch of sympathy.

"She's already showing good recovery," the nurse added, "I cannot guarantee a timeframe for this week but it wont be long now-"

"Dont worry Marie," The other man reassured, "Sophia is strong, she'll be okay."

Marie nodded solemnly, later turning back to the nurse, "Is there any signs of her condition relapsing perhaps?" She was quick to ask, her hands suddenly very fidgety with her nerves.

The nurse shook her head a little, "Your daughter is okay and I do agree that she's one of our better patients." The nurse displayed her great optimism with a gentle smile as she finally moved from the door. Her trained eye, for a moment, slid from the three people wanting information to the other man lingering some paces behind and she swallowed thickly...

Ah...he was here too.

"-If there's anything," She tore her eyes from him and continued, "...anything you need at all, don't hesitate to call us in. You can visit her now but please, keep the noise down to a manageable level." With that, the nurse nodded with finality to all of them and was off.

Seong and Kayla, joined by Marie and a familar stranger who lingered tentatively on the outskirts of their group silently watched her leave then after sharing a look with that familiar stranger, they left him and quietly crowded into the room Sophia occupied.

Marie was the first to react, seeing her daughter still on the machines and with thin tubes injected into her arms. Choking back a sob, Marie lifting her hands to cover her mouth and ran to herdaughters bedside. Seeing her daughter laying like that, so quiet and unresponsive, it felt like her hear was being squeezed by a malicious hand dug deep into her chest. She quickly took Sophia's hand as gently as she could.

Midnight Neighbor | 18+जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें