VII

I stare down the darkness of the stairwell before Sephiroth looks at me. "Phaedra, before I take you down there, there is something you must know," Sephiroth tells me, and I look up at him confused yet curious. "What you will see and hear down there is about something tragic that had happened. If, at any point, you do not wish to hear anymore, I will bring you back up here. I planned to tell you about this when you were more settled, but I suppose now would be better. Do you still wish to learn about this?"

I glance back down the stairwell and then back at Sephiroth. "Yes," I reply.

Sephiroth smiles sadly and leads me down the stairs. As we progress downward, green lights began to appear until we reached a bottomless, fountain-like waterfall. The air was humid and warm, and the water glowed a soft blue. We stop a few feet away from the edge of the waterfall. Sephiroth lets go of my hand and raises his left one in the air. The water starts to flow toward us, circling us, but not encasing up in a bubble. 

The water starts to form into different shapes, and Sephiroth begins his speech of the story. "Before the world you know thrived with life, there was nothing but chaos and madness. Chaos controlled everything with a fiery iron grip." The watery images shape along with the story and even change color at the point when Sephiroth speaks. Chaos is depicted as red and fiery. "It continued for eons until Ultima appeared and stopped Chaos, creating balance. To ensure that would never try to reign again, Ultima created deities to rule over not just our world, but other worlds too. 

"My mother, Jenova, was given this world to protect and watch over." An image of a beautiful silhouette of a woman shaded in a soft blue, forms in front of me and of the world. "She helped it thrive with beauty and life. Soon after she was given reign over this world, she created me so I would help watch over and defend her world. This world is as it is, because of my mother. Yet, not every world is like this one." Sephiroth admits.

"One of the other worlds was being watched over and protected by three deities who referred to themselves as 'The Warring Triad'. In the beginning, they bickered, creating a race imbued with their magic, which they favored of all the inhabitants. However, war soon broke out between those who could use magic and those who wanted to control it but couldn't. The Warring Triad turned themselves into statues to keep the balance of the world in check. Many years after that war, another war started, and any magic found within those chosen inhabitants was taken and placed within machinery called 'Magitek', or in a person to become a 'Magitek Knight'. There was a man who was the first to undergo that indictment, but the experiment was still new at the time, and his mind was warped into one of chaos itself. His name is Kefka." A man forms in the water and glows scarlet and black.

"Kefka was no man that anyone would consider dimwitted. He was rather intelligent, but his nihilistic mind caused him to commit heinous crimes. Some of those include murder. Eventually, he discovered the Warring Triad, and after moving the statues out of balance, he caused the world to be reformed into one of ruin and destruction, and absorbed the magic from with Triad." I saw before me the world Kefka destroyed and ruled over. "Kefka ruled over that world just as badly, perhaps even worse than Chaos had done. Many were afraid of him, some even worshipped him. But, there was a group that opposed him and vowed to take him down." A group of about fourteen people formed and stood before a now purple-glowing Kefka. One of them looked just like Relm. 

"This group was strong enough to take him down, and they were close. But, Kefka tricked them and he had beaten them. His drive for destruction had grown and he destroyed the very world which he took over and almost everything with it." Sephiroth said as the images played out in front of me. I gasped and my heart ached. Relm was part of that group, and her world was destroyed.

"Not all was lost." Sephiroth continued. "Ultima was able to save a handful of those who fought Kefka and reached out to my mother. Ultima told my mother of the events that took place and how Kefka was still lurking about. Ultima requested that until Kefka could be defeated, those refugees he saved would find a haven here. My mother didn't think twice about aiding them. Since then, they have remained here."